Excel

Closed
excellighting - Jul 16, 2009 at 02:06 PM
Excelguru Posts 261 Registration date Saturday April 11, 2009 Status Member Last seen June 21, 2011 - Jul 17, 2009 at 01:35 AM
Hello,
I'm using Excel and a barcode scanner program to update an equipment inventory. Currently I'm using the barcode scanner software to open a "find" window in excel, input the barcode data, press enter, tab over to the column that stating the location, update the location with a location I updated in the macro before running it, tab over to the date column and update the date, move on to the next barcode etc etc etc (ad nauseum). This has worked quite well until it comes upon a barcode that doesn't exist in the spreadsheet yet. Last year we simply added another "Enter" to the macro to get rid of the "Excel cannot find what you are looking for" dialog box. This stopped the barcodes from piling up in the Find window but meant that if the barcode wasn't on the list the number was lost.
I'd like to have the barcode scanner run a macro that inputs the barcode to an unused cell at the bottom of my worksheet, and then runs the hot keys to start a macro in excel that searches for the barcode and IF it finds it updates the two cells in the row and deletes the original cell, IF it doesn't find it, places the barcode in an unused column to have it's row information filled in at a later date.
The barcode scanner has limited macro functions, so if someone can figure out a different way to achieve the same goal, I'm all for it.

Thanks!
Related:

1 response

Excelguru Posts 261 Registration date Saturday April 11, 2009 Status Member Last seen June 21, 2011 307
Jul 17, 2009 at 01:35 AM
Hello excellighting

To go to an unused cell at the bottom of my worksheet, use the end command as in
Range("B4").End(xldown).Select
But this requires that the second column(B) should be continuous