Linking value from one excel file to another

Closed
sanbeda - Jul 27, 2009 at 06:56 AM
strnnger Posts 257 Registration date Thursday May 14, 2009 Status Member Last seen September 30, 2010 - Jul 27, 2009 at 08:14 AM
Hello,
I have a small business (small convenience store) and wants to use excel to keep track of my sales and inventory on a daily basis. I made a simple one where in it shows my beg and ending inventory for the day including sales receipts. However as I want a daily report. I wonder how would I link the ending inventory on an existing file to another file wherein it automatically goes to the beginning inventory for the next day without having to input the figures again. I know this may sound too easy for some but as I am not really an excel user. I could only do the basics. Can anyone help me please thanks. i basically want to link the values of today's ending inventory to tomorrow's beginning inventory without inputting the formula everyday to save time. I know nothing about macros however willing to learn if someone could provide me some tips thanks
Related:

2 responses

Hi Sanbeda,

If you want to link the data from one file to another file, open both files.
In file 2 select a cell in which you want the result.
Now put your cursor in the formulabar and type "=".
Now select the cell in file 1 that you want to link and hit enter.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Trowa
strnnger Posts 257 Registration date Thursday May 14, 2009 Status Member Last seen September 30, 2010 32
Jul 27, 2009 at 08:14 AM
hi there,

follow these steps and try :

1. Go to Start>Programs>Microsoft office>Microsoft Excel to open the application. Then, go to Start>New to open a new spreadsheet. Go to File>Save as and save the new file before going further so you dont loose any work.

2. Go to Tools>Macro>Security, and a pop up window named security will appear. Select the Medium option under the Security Level tab and click OK to continue.

3. Go to Tools>Macro>Record New Macro.

Thanks