Should I use this PC for a boat anchor?

Closed
BREEZE9 - Jul 30, 2009 at 02:25 PM
 User - Aug 3, 2009 at 01:31 PM
Hello,
first my pc would not boot after pressing the power button. I changed the power supply (same specs as the O.E.) then changed the MB and finally the processor. No luck. Now when I power it on the fans turn on for about 3 seconds than turn off. If I power on and unhook the power button from the MB the fans stay on and I get one long beep (about a second). The beep will continue until I unplug the pc. Can anyone point me in a deriction to start?
Related:

3 responses

rossdavid Posts 185 Registration date Tuesday November 18, 2008 Status Member Last seen August 6, 2010 29
Jul 30, 2009 at 05:51 PM
Change RAM it's usually the problems caused by this !
BREEZE9 Posts 1 Registration date Wednesday July 29, 2009 Status Member Last seen July 30, 2009
Jul 30, 2009 at 10:43 PM
Used this RAM from pc and no change. I booted with no RAM and got the same one beep for a second than it repeated. MB is new but could it be bad? Is there a way to test it?
Computers should not be used as boat anchors without the proper precaution being taken as their components are often made of semicondutors that may contain chemicals and elements that when allowed to seep into the ground water or lakes and streams are known to be poisionious to fish and other wildlife including humans.

Strip and recycle all electronics from the chassis and fill your empty can partially full of concrete or other heavy materials.

Installing a good power supply on a bad MB can blow the new PS. Find or purchase a PS tester and see if its good. Make sure the contacts on your power button aren't sticking closed, like holding the power button down. Try disconnecting power from CD-ROM, Floppy drives and other devices that may be shorting or blowing the power supply. Try to start using only neccisary components. If you have added on components to a small power supply you may need to upgrade to a 300 or 400 watt unit.