Video Memory in 64bit Vista

Solved/Closed
Evolutionaryfault Posts 4 Registration date Saturday August 15, 2009 Status Member Last seen August 16, 2009 - Aug 15, 2009 at 07:50 PM
 Zaibian7 - Dec 31, 2010 at 07:58 AM
Ok; so I've got a slight problem with 64bit Vista. I just bought a new laptop, and I'm trying to play one of my older video games (Red Faction). I can get it installed ok, but when I try to boot I get a message telling me I don't have sufficient video memory availiable (8mb minimum). My laptop was marketed as a gaming machine, and has 4gig Ram and a Nvidia GeForce 9800 with 1gig of dedicated video ram. I don't understand how I don't have 8mb free with 5gigs of physical memory..?

When I bring up the Task Manager, it says that I'm using (average) 30% of my availiable memory, so I don't know where the problem lays...

Thanks for any suggestions and tips!
Related:

5 responses

phew, august, well this is a bit late, but i'm getting the same error with a complete kickass machine and video card. i'm not too tech savvy, but i'm fairly sure it's a simple compatibility issue with god knows what. i've tried different compatbilities, 256 colors, all resolutions, nothing.

however with a surprisingly little bit of searching with google, you can see many others with recent computers have had the same problem, a very easy solution seems to be to download a sort of launcher like the one before you start red faction, called pure faction. I believe it's multiplayer based, but it'll bring you to the main menu, and I guess downloads to your red faction their multiplayer maps and optional map editor.
but it seems to fix nearly all of the problem, sure fixed it for me, as far as I know, it is only for the first red faction.

it's located at: https://www.purefaction.org/

hehe, you're welcome ^^

seems to be virus free btw, so *shrug*
Evolutionaryfault Posts 4 Registration date Saturday August 15, 2009 Status Member Last seen August 16, 2009 2
Aug 16, 2009 at 04:25 AM
Yeah, when I got the computer they set it up for me before I took it home.
I ran the Diagnostic, and it recognized my video card, and so does Red Faction.

It's not that I can't live without this game, but if it won't run I'm hesitant to purchase anything more graphics hungry...I mean Red Faction is pretty old...
ModelTX_InfAmY
Mar 13, 2010 at 02:16 AM
The reason it says that you don't have 8 mb of Video Memory is because the game has an old system of detecting your video card. If it's a new enough card it won't see that you have one at all. The games graphics card detection system has a cut off point of what it can detect and anything after that it just won't find.
Try this, open msconfig, got to the boot tab then click the Advanced Options button. Then set maximum memory to 2048 and reboot. This didn't work for RF1 but for RF2 it works fine. Just remember to untick the maximum memory box and reboot after you finished playing. This has nothing to do with video memory, Microsoft has taken the methods of the illusionist and applied it to software, i.e the art of illusion is misdirection.

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Anonymous User
Aug 15, 2009 at 10:11 PM
Hi,

Did you install your video card driver ?

Check it out : Start menu > write dxdiag in the search bar and push Enter.

C u !
where the video memory is located and how to change that ....