Duplicate data and concatenation

Closed
DFK - Aug 27, 2009 at 09:20 AM
 DFK - Aug 27, 2009 at 11:36 AM
Hello,

I have a excel spreadsheet where I have 60,000 rows and columns are filled with data, column headers are Record Number, Last/Business Name, First Name, legal Business Name. the problem I am facing here is there are duplicates for example :-

Record Number, Last/Business Name, First Name, legal Business Name
555 ABC Company Harold
556 Smith Company Bill J
557 ABC Company Carol L

I have sorted according to name coz I have many duplicates and now the data shows this way

555 ABC Company Harold
557 ABC Company Carol L
556 Smith Company Bill J

My question is when there are duplicates in the Last/Nusiness Name column, I want to take the information that is in First Name and copy that into the Legal Business Name row. Once that is complete, then I want to remove duplicates.

For example,

555 ABC Company Harold Harold, Carol L
557 ABC Company Carol L _ Then this will be removed later with Remove duplicates
556 Smith Company Bill J

Basically copy the data from First Name column when a duplicate is found and make sure there are no duplicates, I cannot do this manually as its a huge file, Is there a Macro or a formula where I can work on. Please help!

Thanx!
DFX

Configuration: Windows XP
Internet Explorer 6.0

1 response

One more thing to add ....

My question is when there are duplicates in the Last/Nusiness Name column, I want to take the information that is in First Name and copy that into the Legal Business Name row WHILE ADDING THE LAST?BUSINESS NAME TO THE FIRST NAME. Once that is complete, then I want to remove duplicates.

For example,

555 ABC Company Harold Harold ABC Company, Carol L ABC Company
557 ABC Company Carol L _ Then this will be removed later with Remove duplicates
556 Smith Company Bill J

Thanks again if this can work.
DFK