Video/USB problem

Closed
E Square - Sep 1, 2009 at 12:32 PM
 Blocked Profile - Sep 1, 2009 at 02:25 PM
Hello,
On an older Dell Deminsion a few days ago my video went out, got the yellow light and a blank screen. I also noticed that my USB lights were out on my hub. On opening the computer I noticed that the fan on the "nvidia" video card had seized and was not running. When I removed the video card and powered-up the computer the USB lights lit-up. When I loosened the fan and put the back in it did not work and the USB lights went out. I got another "nvidia" card inserted inserted it and I get the same results as with the old card. The question did I fry the mother board or power supply--if so how can I tell which one and if I can easily fix the problem. I am reasonably handy with electronics and have multimeters, oscilloscope, etc.

The hard drive is good (inserted it into a GearBox and can talk to it over USB on another computer) and BIOS seems good.

E Square
Related:

3 responses

Blocked Profile
Sep 1, 2009 at 12:51 PM
Hye, repairs on mainboard are quite tought :)

Try to disconnect the fan of the card and start the pc just to try, it is possible that the fan short-circuited especially if it was stuck for a long time.
Hi Deepbreathe,

Thanks for the response. I forgot to mention that I did disconnect the fan, that was the first thing that I thought, it made no difference. So I am left with determining if my problem is in the motherboard or power supply.

E Square
Blocked Profile
Sep 1, 2009 at 02:25 PM
are there a couple of capacitors near the vga port? are they in good condition?, i hope for you that the port isnt dead