Limited connectivity in lan

Closed
limited connectivity - Sep 2, 2009 at 03:05 PM
sharpman Posts 1021 Registration date Saturday May 23, 2009 Status Contributor Last seen October 20, 2010 - Sep 2, 2009 at 03:15 PM
Hello,
this is naren ...i have a lan network in my hostel to which around 500 systems are connected.when i connect the lan wire to my vista operating dell studio 1555 laptop it shows the connection status as local only.bit exactly say in about 5-7 mins.. it shows a limited connectivty with an exclamation mark on it..pls reply if u know a solution..i have tried turning firewall off &reinstalling the driver........
Related:

2 responses

Blocked Profile
Sep 2, 2009 at 03:13 PM
Hye,

Have you check you ip? if there is a DHCP server on the lan make sure to use automatic setting for you connection, otherwise you have to find a free ip address to use for you computer.

try Contacting your network administrator to have a free ip address or to check your configuration
sharpman Posts 1021 Registration date Saturday May 23, 2009 Status Contributor Last seen October 20, 2010 183
Sep 2, 2009 at 03:15 PM
ok, what has happened here is that the ip address of your laptop is different to the ip address details of the rest of your network.

if you go to one of the computers that can connect,
type ipconfig and press enter in a dos window.
go to the one that says

ethernet adapter local connection:

and get the
ip address, xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
subnet mask, xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
gateway xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

write these down

you need to then input these details into your dell laptops ethernet tcpip properties.

once these have been entered and applied your computer should connect to the lan again.