Windows ME problems

Closed
Dave - Sep 11, 2009 at 12:09 PM
sharpman Posts 1021 Registration date Saturday May 23, 2009 Status Contributor Last seen October 20, 2010 - Sep 11, 2009 at 06:42 PM
Hello,
I rfecently purchased an old Dell Inspiron 8000 with all intentions of upgrading the software. I was unaware of the system or operating system has Windows ME still on it.

I am recently understanding that no website, download, etc... supports anything to do with the Windows ME operating system.

What are my options to repair this issue short of purchasing new laptop/PC?
Related:

1 response

sharpman Posts 1021 Registration date Saturday May 23, 2009 Status Contributor Last seen October 20, 2010 183
Sep 11, 2009 at 06:42 PM
this link gives you access to all the drivers that you need for that model.

win me drivers are there., as are win 2000, win 98, red hat linux

your best option would be to get either windows 2000 disk or redhat linux, and install either one of those.

http://support.euro.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?os=WNT5&osl=EN&catid=-1&impid=-1&servicetag=&SystemID=INS_PNT_P3CG_8000&hidos=WME&hidlang=en&TabIndex=

or you could go for one of the free linux distros, like ubuntu. Depends what you want out of the laptop, if its just basic documents etc and a little web surfing, then the linux way could be for you as the o/s is free and some of the software is also, open office org do a free office like suite for diddly squat. it's pretty good and the files are compatable with office.