Sound device xp

Solved/Closed
Maldune2149891 - Sep 21, 2009 at 09:34 PM
 Maldune2149891 - Sep 21, 2009 at 09:54 PM
so my computer was messing up and i had my roommate reformat my harddrive or whatever, and now i have no sound. when i click on a file in WMP, an error message comes up saying something about a lack of a sound device. ive looked through all the posts on multiple sites and im yet to find a free sound device that works. all of the driver updates require you to register and pay, which im not trying to do. other than that ive trued a sound card from realtek and conexant, neither of which worked. can someone PLEASE help me?
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,827
Sep 21, 2009 at 09:43 PM
You can normally download the required hardware drivers from the PC manufacturer or for no-name PCs from the motherboard manufacturer. The problem it when people switch from Vista to Windows XP often the newer hardware does not have drivers for XP.

Can you identify the name and model of the PC? Google and download a program called Belarc Advisor to help in identifying the hardware.

Good Luck
Maldune2149891
Sep 21, 2009 at 09:54 PM
i typed in the model and all that into google plus sound card and i finally got something that worked... i think the problem before was i just typed in "windows XP sound card". Not sure if that mattered, but either way its working now.

Thanks dude!!!