2 OS

Closed
silence - Oct 7, 2009 at 08:20 PM
Mwanasoft Posts 57 Registration date Sunday May 24, 2009 Status Member Last seen April 6, 2010 - Oct 8, 2009 at 03:49 AM
Hello,
I have XP on my computer and I had a spare hard drive so i plugged it in and then installed another OS on it then made sure it worked and took out the extra hard drive. the problem is when i boot it still ask which OS even though there is only 1 now. how do i fix it?
Related:

1 response

Mwanasoft Posts 57 Registration date Sunday May 24, 2009 Status Member Last seen April 6, 2010 26
Oct 8, 2009 at 03:49 AM
Hi,

Since windows has kept this list in the boot.ini file you'll have to alter this file by changing the line that will have the second option of the operating system. And to do this you'll open the boot.ini file using any of these two ways

Click on the start button an then run, and type 'C:\boot.ini' without the quotes and then click on OK.
Right-click My Computer icon on the desktop and then in the system properties dialog box, click on advanced tab to select then locate Start-up and recovery section and click on settings. In the resulting start-up and recovery, dialog box, the first section Click on the edit button (to edit the start up option file manually) .

Then erase the last line in the file, for instance you might get something of the sort:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS ="Microsoft Windows XP Proffessional"

Make sure you are deleting the second option (I guess it should be on the second partition)

Then restart the computer and you wont get the prompt.

Have a beautiful day and enjoy!!!
-
Mwanasoft® Solutions