2nd hard drive's OS not recognized

Closed
Inkiz - Oct 14, 2009 at 12:32 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Oct 15, 2009 at 11:21 PM
Hello,

Had computer with OS XP. MB bit the dust but HardDrive survived. I have another even older computerw/ OS Win98 ( use in office simple LAN). Upgraded this one to XP so that I could install the other HD to access data on it. This works fine I can access both HD's data. I would rather boot to the newly installed HD b/c it is much faster and also bigger.

Problem- when I switch the connector cable to make the new HD boot as master and the other as slave - the computer will not boot. I get the message "no operating system." The newly installed HD has XP on it. Any suggestions? Thanks
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Oct 15, 2009 at 11:21 PM
The "faster" Hard Drive has drivers for the motherboard that failed not the MB that you are currently using. If the BIOS could find the Boot.ini file you would still have problems with hardware drivers. Sometimes Windows XP can resolve the driver issues other times you just create a mess. I suspect the boot record got deleted on the faster drive and that is causing the no OS found message. You will probably need to re-install Windows XP on the "faster" disk.

Good Luck