Computer doesn't recognize ipod [Solved/Closed]

-
Hello,
one day when my ipod ran out of battery and I connected it to my computer but it didn't show up and it still charged so I connected it to my macbook and it showed up. The next day I spent $50 worth of songs on my computer but my ipod doesn't connect so I can't add them on and i'm afraid that if I uninstall itunes then that money will go to waste what can I do??
See more 

17 replies

Best answer
approved by Jean-François Pillou on Nov 26, 2018
Thank you
I KNOW THE SOLUTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
it's not the computer it's the ipod
hold down the menu and the center button for about 15 second and that reboots it (don't worry you'll keep all your files) and then plug it into the computer again, it should turn on!

Say "Thank you" 1284

Glad we were able to help! Love us? Write us a review! Rate CCM

CCM 6262 users have said thank you to us this month

Thank you so much - I have been searching for a while and and have tried installing and uninstalling itunes and all sorts - then i find this simple quick solution and it works!!
Thank you again for saving my stress!!!
thinks boiiiiii
Thank you so much! I've been trying different things for hours! This worked right away!
Thank you!! So helpful!! It works. :) :)
What a relief! I thought I had really screwed up my iPod. And right before a long road trip.Thank you SO much!!
Thank you
There's many reason why those two doesn't seem to work. But thanks to Kioskea.net, I was able to find you the answers.

1. Your computer or iTunes is not to blame. Blame your iPod.
Hold your menu button down for about 15 seconds, let it reboot, and plug it back it in to your computer again, your computer should then recongnize your iPod.

If the first option doesn't work, here's my second option:

2. Plug in your iPod, and put it into Disk Mode. Hold the menu button, and let it reboot (Don't forget to leave it plugged in)
Now in your computer, go to your Control Panel. In your Control Panel, open System and click the Hardware tab. Once there click Device Manager. Find Universal Serial Bus Control, right- click Apple Mobile Device USB Driver and uninstall it. (If if's not installed with iTunes, get it)
If all these doesn't work, I guess you could just pray and unplug and plug your iPod.

Hope this helps!!!
thank you so much! that totally solved my problem
hey thanks I know this is an old post but it still happens thnx ur the only thing that worked
Another new user here - Mike's advice re USB control worked for me. Tried all the solutions Apple offered but this wasn't one of them. Thanks Mike, whoever you are!
andyjackson
Registration date
Friday November 28, 2014
Status
Last seen
November 28, 2014
-
I have an ] touch 2 gen, and my computer ALWAYS recognizes it as a Digital Camera . I have tried every one of your steps, but the problem is that when I look for the "Apple" file in program files, it isn't there.
Thank you
I had the exact same problem as everyone who mentioned that they took all of the advice given from reinstalling iTunes to uninstalling drivers and all the other junk. My problem was (and is) my cord. I couldn't figure out the problem for WEEKS until (just now) when I started to pull out my cord and noticed that suddenly my iPod was recognized and unrecognized just as quickly. I tested it again and discovered that when I attached it, I couldn't hook it up completely to where it snapped into place or the iPod would just charge and not get recognized or sync. Basically I need to buy a new cord. Unfortunately, I took the advice of others and uninstalled a USB port...now I can't reinstall the main one. That's a whole other list of issues for another day.

So, to anyone who's tried uninstalling and reinstalling things, a word of advice, CHECK YOUR CORD FIRST.
Thank you
IVE HAD THIS PROBLEM FOR AGES WITH MY NANO, APPLE SUPPORT DIDNT HELP.
GO TO DEVICE MANAGEMENT WHILST YOUR IPOD IS CONNECTED, DISABLE IPOD USB CONNECTION. AFTER THIS, GO TO ADD HARDWARE AND FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS.
SORTED
THAnk YOU soooooo much
Thank you soooo freaking much!!
How do you get to device management?
watermelon57@gmail.com
thanks a bunch
That was my first action... but it says in need a disk! I dont have a disk!
Registration date
Thursday May 14, 2009
Status
Last seen
September 30, 2010
Thank you
hi,

update the version of iTunes that you are using then connect the iPod.

this should fix the problem.
dadaaadum you got a dodgy ipod then I think, mine has never messed up once until now and ive had it for 8 months. none of my friends ones have every broken either, maybe once.
if you're on windows you can right click on my computer and then manage devices.
if u use the same apple id u can download it from your phone
this happened to me as well nd I dont know what to do please heellppppp:(
did that and still doesnt work trust me I thought about that too and updated my ipod touch on wifi
Thank you
Hi, I had this problem also. It would not show up on iTunes or windows explorer. I tried the select/menu reset to no avail. Then I tried disk management under the computer management in control panel. The partition didn't have a name or letter but it did show the memory, however it wouldn't let me assign a letter either. Next I found the device in the device manager under disk drives and I disabled then reenabled and still didn't work. By now I was pulling my hair out and ready to give up. I had one more try and looked further down the list in storage volumes and there it was disabled. I reenabled it and everything is fine now. I didn't expect to see the ipod listed as a devce and a storage volume but there it was. Hope this helps someone else..
Thank you
this Problem Happened to me as well. I tryed a differnt usb port on my HP computer it worked!! try it on your mac. good luck.
this works :)
this helped me too !!!! YES!! thx
Thank you
Put all your purchased songs on a flashdrive, unistall iTunes, if your songs don't appear on iTunes you'll have all the songs on the flashdrive.
Thank you
ok so I tryed the menu and center button thing bit all it does is say do not disconnect. its been like that all day
leave it how it is because u have to let the battery die then recharge it and it will work like new.
hope this helps :0
Registration date
Monday November 23, 2009
Status
Last seen
November 24, 2009
Thank you
Hey,

Windows 7 or Apple software updates something worked out good. Once I updated the software. After few minutes the OS said installing ipod USB device. It recognized my IPOD shuffle
Thank you
I had this problem too, and what I did was go to my computer's Control Panel and typed "usb" into the search, and went to the device manager. Then, with my iPod connected to my computer, I updated the iPod usb port and it worked just fine after that.
Thank you
Also for anyone that needs to uninstall and reinstall itunes to make sure I didn't lose the folder the music was stored in I just renamed the folder before uninstall then after reinstalling shut itunes down, delete the itunes (empty) folder and rename your old one.

Cheers, Chris.
Thank you
BINGO!!! ok so I went to my "computer management" then I clicked on "device manager". I found my i-pod then uninstalled it. I then plugged in my ipod once again and it re-installed and Yahtzee!!!! back in service!
Thank you
Pressing the centre button to reset my ipod worked ,yeppie ..Thank you soooooooo much .
Thank you
had the same exact problem for the past hour just reinstalled all the itunes apps, bonjour, mobile reader everything unistall all the apple applications on your computor than install itunes should work if not im sorry :/ try it hope it works.
Thank you
Make sure you hold down the menu key and play or start button down at the same time! The apple should appear as you plug up the IPod after hold down keys for 15 seconds!
Thank you
ANOTHER POSSIBLE ANSWER!!!

I couldn't figure out my problem with this and then I called a friend who solved it very quickly. I was using a 3rd party cord which was no good. It charged but the wire connection for the iPod syncing was not working.

I had a spare Apple cord sitting around and used that. Instant fix!!!