Dell xp inspiron 9300 laptop

Closed
boctober - Oct 27, 2009 at 06:24 PM
 boctober - Oct 28, 2009 at 03:30 AM
Hello,
I have a dell xp inspiron 9300 laptop,I would like to make it xp pro,how do i do that?I am 80 years old and would like to upgrade to xp pro.
Thank you so much if you can help me.

E B Williams
Related:

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Oct 27, 2009 at 08:50 PM
An upgrade to XP Pro will require you to purchase a new copy of Windows XP Pro. Microsoft doesn't even sell them anymore. Why do you want to upgrade?
Someone told me to get the xp pro,said its better than xp that I have now.Plus I have a problem before connecting to Internet Explorer.it would not connect to my router,so a friend checked my router,and the router is fine as he checked with his laptop.He said the hard drive has a problem,so he put a G Wireless USB Network Adapter on my Dell computer,so it would connect to the router.Please let me know if this can be fixed without the Belkin Adapter.I have had good luck with the computer until that happened.The computer is 4 years old now.My computer is my life,because I play music and chat with my friends in inspeak.This computer was bought from Dell in December 2005.When I am ready I will buy another Dell,but maybe get a desktop one that will play great music and sound.Please let me know what kind od Dell desktop computer would be best to get for playing songs,and has great sound.
Thanks for responding back to me,

EB Williams
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Oct 28, 2009 at 01:27 AM
There are only minor differences between XP Home and XP Pro. Under the skin they have the same basic code with a few additional features in XP Pro. These features are useful in an office environment but not worth the extra money and the major hassle of installing a new operating system for home use. So XP Pro is BETTER in a technical sense. But not worth the extra money. Save the money for a new computer.

I take it, your built-in wireless internet hardware/software failed and was replaced by a USB adapter. We can't diagnose the problems with out having hands on access to the laptop. But, it is a good work-around to bypass the problems by adding the Belkin adapter. If the USB adapter is too bulky you could get a PC Card wireless adapter that slides into a slot in the laptop with only the antenna sticking out.

If you have the laptop turned on for most of the day, it is aging rapidly and only has only a year or two of life left in its hard drive and internal components. Laptops tend to suffer from heat related problems and the hard drives have a shorter life span.

I have not researched Dell desktops, as I tend to build them myself. One thing to note is that desktops do not normally come with built-in speakers or wireless internet. The sound quality is somewhat determined by the quality of the speakers you connect since the on-board sound hardware is standard. If you want to connect the desktop to the router by wireless. You can purchase either an internal add-in card or an external USB adapter, like the Belkin you now have. When it comes time to order from Dell the sales person can advise you quite well. You will find that even the low end desktops are mush faster than the laptop you now have. You need not spend a ton of money on a replacement PC.

I hope this helps. Good Luck from a young man of 67 years.
I want to thank you for the good advice you gave me,I will explain this to my son in the military,as he is away right now,and he is a computer tech in the army,but he is too far away to help me with my computer at this time.
I think computers keep the older folks,well entertained,and alert,and young.I would be lost without mine.

Thanks again,EBW