Vista Black Screen installing IDE HDD

Closed
ntluser Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday October 27, 2009 Status Member Last seen October 28, 2009 - Oct 28, 2009 at 05:32 AM
ntluser Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday October 27, 2009 Status Member Last seen October 28, 2009 - Oct 28, 2009 at 09:20 AM
Hello,

Help please? I am trying to install my old IDE HDD in my new Vista PC which is SATA. There is no IDE on the motherboard, so I am using an ITE IT-8212 PCI IDE card.

Here's the story so far...

Hit the power button to turn the PC off. Installed the new PCI card. Plugged in the IDE HDD. Switched on the PC. It happened to hibernate rather than restore, and came back resuming windows rather than booting fresh. There were no problems at this stage. It detected the new card. It installed the appropriate driver (itide). It attached the drive to a spare drive letter and asked me what I wanted to do with the new device, import pictures or explore. Sounds good! Unfortunately all is not good. After a real shutdown it won't boot with any IDE HDDs connected to the new card. It boots fine with the card installed, just not if you connect anything. I've been through the BIOS and everything looks ok to me.

Bog standard Vista PC, SATA HDD running in AHCI mode set as the boot device.

Anyone with any info or suggestions much appreciated.
NTL User
Related:

2 responses

dancedhall Posts 3056 Registration date Wednesday May 13, 2009 Status Member Last seen March 12, 2010 655
Oct 28, 2009 at 09:00 AM
hi there,

an external usb 2.0 casing

would have been better for this job

its easy for use and detection

Thanks
ntluser Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday October 27, 2009 Status Member Last seen October 28, 2009
Oct 28, 2009 at 09:20 AM
Yes, probably so. I considered that...
1. Cost. I have two internal IDE HDDs 300GB + 200GB and the card only cost $10.
2. Aesthetics. I don't want external devices. There is plenty of room in the case.
3. Power cables. I don't want more external power cables.

Thanks.