Unable to intialize external USB hdd's.

Closed
rhimar - Nov 6, 2009 at 01:25 PM
 jenifer - Nov 6, 2009 at 02:37 PM
Hello,
I have 3 hdd's (external) all different manufacturers. Working until recently as USB external drives. They now show up in device manager as usb device and also mass storage device. In computer mamangement they show as disk unknown. Tried to initialize disk, it comes back disk not ready. Also tried 2nd usb caddy to no avail. Happens on my other PC as well, Running Vista and Win 7. They are recognised if I connect directly to IDE channels on mobo on both PC's when drive letters are shown. No drive letters shown as USB external drives. Please can somebody help.
Related:

2 responses

nomadcrys Posts 195 Registration date Tuesday November 18, 2008 Status Member Last seen January 29, 2010 48
Nov 6, 2009 at 01:38 PM
Should definitely be the drivers, go in your device manager and try to update them and if it's still not working delete the driver and restart your computer, windows should detect them again and reinstall the drivers properly.
delete the driver & reinstall them.. & u can use USB drive as RAM, i have read it in http://jeshmal4u.blogspot.com/2009/11/usb-pendrive-alternative-for-ram-in.html