XP restarts continousiouly..not able to boot

Solved/Closed
karthick - Nov 18, 2009 at 03:07 AM
 karthick - Nov 23, 2009 at 06:40 AM
Dear all,

I tried to install a software.My xp started restarting..but its not logging into desktop.its continuously restarts.
Not able to login through safe mode or most recent good configuration.
I tried to boot my XP CD to recover but its checking software configuration then its stops with a black screen. then i removed my hard disk and tried with one more hard disk my xp cd is booting properly.

I never faced this problem before. can someone help me how to resolve this issue? i have some data in my hard disk. How to recover this?

Thanks in advance
Related:

5 responses

Blocked Profile
Nov 18, 2009 at 03:19 AM
Dear Karthick,

Please check whether the cable that you are using is not damaged and hence

interrupting the power supply. This could be the reason why the PC keeps

rebooting again and again. Please confirm it.

Thank you.
hey no as i told i removed my primary HD and tried in other HD i am able to boot the xp CD.. :(
thats i got confused..its not power problem... coz after i clecked the exe file it happened
lifeisagame Posts 10 Registration date Tuesday August 26, 2008 Status Member Last seen November 23, 2009 4
Nov 18, 2009 at 04:31 AM
does windows load up to the point where you have to put in your password? you put in the password - then logs out?

please confirm.

if this is the case then you will need your xp re-installation cd to correct this problem.
no xp processing icon is coming..when it ends its restarting again.. i connected my Hard disk in my friends system.. i am able to view the data...but its not booting
lifeisagame Posts 10 Registration date Tuesday August 26, 2008 Status Member Last seen November 23, 2009 4
Nov 19, 2009 at 08:41 AM
The most common cause of this right now, is running a malware detection progam that deletes a file, but the registry still points at it. This, wsaupdater.exe, seems to be the most widely seen culprit, but it could potentially be other things, too.

Let's test it out.

Boot using your winxp cd.
Enter recovery console.
at the command prompt go to

C:/windows/system32

next type:
Dir *.exe

If you find, it, type

copy userinit.exe wsaupdater.exe

Exit and reboot normally. You should now be able to logon.

Run regedit

Navigate to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\

In the right pane, you should see

C:\WINDOWS\System32\wsaupdater.exe,

Change it so that it reads:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\userinit.exe

That should solve the problem, if the malware was the one that caused the issue.
hey problem is i am not able to boot the xp cd..its booting asking me to enter a key then its going to black screen..

now i connected my HD to my friends system as secondary..is there any way to delete it...??
Nov 23, 2009 at 04:21 AM
the hard drive does not boot up the cd, is there a problem with your cd-rom drive?

deleting files and folders when connected as a slave in another computer will not make any difference when booting up from the xp-cd.

have you tried booting up from the xp cd within your friends computer? that way you can access your hard-drive and either format or fix windows files.
I tried that too its not working..I formatted C: through my friends system...then also no luck..

No i am gonna formatt Linux partion too..if it doesnt work i have no other option formating the whole disk and i will do the partition again.. :(

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
rajesh234 Posts 1 Registration date Sunday November 22, 2009 Status Member Last seen November 23, 2009
Nov 23, 2009 at 05:57 AM
once format the c:/ drive and configure the partions correctly then problem is solved
I formatted C: already and i tried to boot the CD its booting and asking me to enter any key and i am getting a msg as checking software settings after that its going blank...black screen..