Internet sleep slow after fresh install

Closed
didjmaster - Nov 25, 2009 at 08:13 PM
 John - Jan 13, 2010 at 06:32 AM
Hello,

I am experiencing problems with internet speed and connection. When I download something it will start off at around 400 kb/s and quickly slow down to around 70 kb/s . This is a desktop pc running a fresh install of Windows XP (SP3), with a wireless adapter on a cable modem connection. My connection is supposed to be 6 MB, and I realize I might not get that exact speed, but it is still has been WAY faster in the past.

In addition to the slow download speed, I'm also experience lag with internet browsing in general. Slow opening program, may crash and display "program had to shut down" message when using more than one tab or window. Even with one tab/window, it is only a matter of time (usually about 5 minutes) before even that one tab/window begins to lag heavily.

Every time I restart, I have to manually connect to the wireless connection (never had to do that before).

==========
Details, and What I've tried:

Fresh install of SP3 - first time running SP3. No viruses, running AVG free edition, firewall is on but browser has access.

I have been using the same cable modem (Linksys) and wireless adapter (Linksys WUSB300N) for about 8 months now - no problems. I also did a fresh install 3 days ago with SP2 - worked fine. The only thing that has changed is an installation of Windows that includes SP3.

I have not changed the location of the pc, the adapter, or the modem (no interference with other devices using 2.4 ghz, like microwaves or cordless phones).

All drivers are updated for the wireless adapter (even though this has not been necessary in the past while running SP2).

I have tried this with Internet Explorer 6.0, Mozilla Firefox, and Google Chrome. Regardless of browser, same issues persist.

On top of all of that, my computer runs perfect (really fast) when opening other programs, copying files, running scans. The only thing that it lags on is internet browsing.

I have another computer (also running wireless internet), and it remains with a strong connection and fast browsing/download speed - no change at all. That makes me rule out the router.

If anyone could offer a suggestion, it would be much appreciated. I have been fighting this for the last 2 days and can't seem to figure it out. I hope I have included enough information to help narrow the problem down. If not, ask and I will provide more.

Thanks,
Related:

1 response

Or you can use an internet accelerator like Internet Cyclone. I've used it and is quite good. You can google it.