HP Pavilion 6700 series won't charge

Closed
BabyOnBoard2141 - Nov 27, 2009 at 08:26 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Nov 27, 2009 at 10:04 PM
We thought my charger was crapping out on me about a month ago so we finally replaced it when jiggling it around stopped working. This charger doesn't work either, so we're pretty sure it's something on the inside. My computer isn't under warranty anymore and we don't want to fork out the money to fix it if it's something we can fix on our own. It's an HP Pavilion 6700 series and I've always seemed to have problems with it ever since I got it. If it will cost the same amount to fix it as it will to get a Mac Notebook, I'm just going to get one of those because I've never heard anyone complain about them. My husband has tried messing with it most of the night- ever since we realized the cord wasn't at fault- but hasn't been able to cure the problem. It seems if he just barely sticks the cord in, it will charge for more than thirty seconds.
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,825
Nov 27, 2009 at 10:04 PM
It's probable that the "jiggling it around" has broken loose the power connector from the motherboard. It might be anywhere from $100 to $200 for a local repair shop to fix. It might be simple to solder the plug back on or it might require a motherboard replacement. Get an estimate first.
The dv6000 series of HP laptops have more than their fair share of hardware problems.

A new Mac laptop is over $1000 and will require new software also. But, it might be cheaper in the long run.

Good Luck