Dell 9100 WindowsXP input problem

Closed
Jerry - Dec 2, 2009 at 07:22 PM
 Jerry - Dec 3, 2009 at 06:26 PM
Hello, As a result of inadvertently disconnecting my USB wireless mouse and keyboard windows xp will now not recognize any mouse or keyboard. When I attempt to start windows in the safe mode, requesting the c:prompt I am still not able to get access because windows XP takes me to the login window requesting me to sign on as a guest or as myself. Since my keyboard and mouse no longer work at this point thats as far as I can go. My USB mouse and keyboard work perfectly in the DOS environment. Once windows begins to load I'm lost. Using my restore disk (from Dell, I'm using a 9100 Dimension)on one occasion I was able to control "C" out of a batch file and get to my c: drive but the restore files are in another partition. In any event, all of the files that I have access to at that point tell me (when I try to run them) that they only run in the Windows environment. Do you have any suggestions? I'm retired and really can't afford a computer repair.
Related:

3 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Dec 2, 2009 at 07:52 PM
you will need to connect an AT style keyboard and mouse to regain control of your computer. Didn't the computer come with those?

Good Luck
If you READ the paragraph it states that I'm now using a USB mouse and keyboard and that they function properly until windows begins to boot!
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Dec 3, 2009 at 02:56 PM
And if you READ my reply I stated that you need to change to an AT style mouse and keyboard to get around your problem.
Unfortunately my computer only has USB ports. I have several older keyboards and mice but can't use them on this machine.
Dec 3, 2009 at 04:25 PM
Then about the only alternative is to change the BIOS to boot from the CD drive and do a Windows repair/install. Is the Dell repair CD a full bootable copy of Windows XP?
This might replace the problem entries in the Registry and will leave your applications and data intact.
See this web page for specific instructions:
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Good Luck
I've already changed the bios setting and unfortunately XP is set up for a password entry. Before I can get to the command prompt I have to log in at which point my mouse and keyboard are already useless. I was able to get to the command prompt on one occasion by using "control c" in a batch file. At this point I can't remember how I got to that point. I should have left my computer running but I didn't. Every file I had access to gave me a report that it only ran under windows. I was shown as in C:\ drive and had access to a bunch of subdirectories but they all had files that wouldn't run in the DOS environment. I imagine if there was a utility program that let me cross partition lines I probably would have been able to accomplish something. Since that time I've been unable to repeat what got me to C:. Thanx