Windows XP Pro Crash, HEEEELP!

Closed
Higdon95 - Dec 3, 2009 at 11:24 PM
 Higdon95 - Dec 4, 2009 at 11:29 AM
Hello,
Yesterday my computer randomly restarted without warning, only windows wouldn't boot up. Not only that, I could not go back to the last time windows was working properly, nor could I boot in safe mode. Every option I choose it just restarts automatically.

So I put in my XP disc in and ran a repair, however after the repair it restarts and I'm back to square one.

Next I followed a ton of steps through the windows recovery console, copying and deleting files and so on. However I still could not get windows to boot up to finish the process.

So then I was going to install my Hard Drive into an old computer I have (as the secondary Hard Drive) and run a virus scan, but It didn't have a Serial ATA plug, so that was a bust.

So next (and this might have been a mistake) I installed XP Pro again, making sure I did not reformat my Hard Drive. So now I have two Windows XP Pros to choose from, one that still wont boot, and one that is the bare bones windows XP Pro.

This is a problem, because obviously my goal is to recover all of my data (wow I can't believe I don't have my files backed up).

So I have two windows folders, Windows (which is the my original OS) and Windows2 (the new one). Also in the system restore calendar there are no restore points, but that's for the new OS. I know somewhere deep in belly of Windows there should be several restore points, but I can't get to them.

So I guess I'm at a loss on where to go from here. Are there any files I can copy from my Windows2 folder to my Windows folder that will help it boot up. And if I get that original windows to boot up will I even be able to recover my files??
Related:

5 responses

rajmal Posts 5 Registration date Thursday December 3, 2009 Status Member Last seen December 4, 2009
Dec 4, 2009 at 01:02 AM
use ubuntu live to recover ur data without formating.. get it from ubuntu.com(free)
Thanks for the response.

Isn't unbuntu an OS?? So you are saying if I download and install that OS, I will then be able to recover all of my files?? And then I can back everything up and use XP Pro??

Can you elaborate on how exactly unbuntu will recover my files?? I don't want to dl another OS and be in my same situation but with yet another OS running.
Ubuntu rather.
I did run a bootcfg /rebuild too btw. No matter what I do, as soon as the black windows screen appears it automatically restarts. If I don't hit anything my computer will just sit there restarting over and over.
Ran Chkdsk last night in the recovery console. It actually said it fixed some errors. However I still cannot boot up. I had some false hope going for a while.

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Does anyone know, if I was to run the software PC Inspector File Recovery on my XP Pro OS that I can access (the bare bones one) would I be able to recover files on my Hard Drive that are set to my original OS that I cannot get to boot?

All I need to do is grab these files to put on my external Hard Drive and then I'll be happy to reformat my Drive.