Word 2008 files unusually large

Closed
siseo05 - Dec 4, 2009 at 11:25 PM
 TomWat - May 18, 2010 at 12:27 PM
Hi,

I got my MacBook Pro a few months ago and had them pre-install MS Office 2008. This is the first Mac I've had, and then I noticed that my Word documents were all unusually large files relative to their page length and content (a two-page document, text-only, was up to 100 KB already). I thought at first it was something with Office 2008, but I asked my friend who has a MacBook with 2008, and she said her documents were all ordinary sized. I did a little searching on Google and have found nothing on this subject, which leads me to believe it isn't a common problem.

Just to give you an idea: I saved a ten-page essay in Word on my computer, and it was 123 KB. I took it to school and saved it on 2007, and it was 25 KB.

Any thoughts, guys? I've got plenty of hard drive space, but it seems ridiculous to have these little files taking up space they shouldn't be, and it makes distributing them a pain for my workshops.

All file sizes for .docx format (though I believe my .doc files are also larger than normal--not nearly as large as .docx, but still bigger than they should be. Haven't saved any other formats in Word).

Thanks in advance.
Related:

2 responses

Since I started using Dropbox, I have noticed the same problem with file sizes between Word 2007 and Word:Mac 2008. I think the problem has always been there, but I didn't notice it until I started using Dropbox. I have tried looking up the issue, but I have only found your two requests for help (here and MacRumors) and an AppleScript at the website below that I doubt will solve this problem. I've included it anyway just in case.

http://hints.macworld.com
I should be more specific about what I've noticed. My file sizes increase just like yours--about the same proportion. A 13 KB file in Word 2007 is 88 KB in Word 2008. A 15 KB file in 2007 is 99 KB in 2008. If I want to get the file size down, I merely have to open the Mac document in Word 2007, press Ctrl+A, paste it all in a new blank document, and resave. At least, I think that is all I have to do, but I did change the font to Calibri in 2007 before resaving it.

I have also noticed that when you open a Word 2008 file in Word 2007, it remembers all kinds of things about the document, like the page zoom and stuff like that. I don't know if that affects file size, however, because I think 2007 remembers that stuff too. I am a little suspicious of fonts, however. If I save a file using the default Cambria font in 2008, to me it doesn't look the same in 2007 as 2007's own Cambria font. I don't know if that is my imagination or if it is because I hardly ever use Cambria in 2007 (which uses Calibri as the default).

Randywombat claims in your other post at MacRumors (link below for anyone reading this) that Word 2008 does not increase the size of a file created in 2007. I'm not sure I can agree with that, because when I open an old cover letter from Word 2007, edit it in 2008, and "save as" under a new name, it gets a ton larger. I would be curious to hear what other people have observed.

MacRumors: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/word-2008-file-size-unusually-large.829544/