Xp home won't reboot from recovery disc

Closed
oldfrt48 - Aug 31, 2008 at 09:33 AM
 Anna Software - Aug 22, 2009 at 01:39 PM
Hello,
I downloaded the SP3 upgrade on my Dell desktop.After restart, windows won't start. Get following message:
"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \Windows\inf\biosinfo.inf

Tried the recovery disc I ordered with the pc but when it gets to the selection choise to "R" for repair or "Enter" for a total reformat.......nothing happens. Just hangs there.Called Dell support and the wanted $69 just to talk me thru a reformat.
I have some files I'd like to save before reformatting but if it's impossible I'll just let them go.
I'm not real smart on these things so make it simple for me.
I'd appreciate any help you can offer.
Related:

3 responses

lencugio Posts 5 Registration date Saturday August 30, 2008 Status Member Last seen January 14, 2009 1
Aug 31, 2008 at 10:47 AM
cant you make a system restore of your system or what you can do there is a software called regfic just download it and repair the registry this should fix your problem
can't download anything til I get windows back up (I don't thnk!). Can't burn a restore disc as I can't get into windows, safe mode, or any mode.
Still looking for any help.
Hi

Make a bootable usb flash disk with hp usb formatter (on another machine), put DSL (damn small linux) and boot your computer. Put in some DVDs and burn your data to back it up. Since you use USB boot, your cdrom will be available for burning.

After your data is safe just format your drive with DSL, if not working then with bios low level format. Just t be sure you can restore or flash your bios to the factory settings.

Regards
Anna Software
Aug 22, 2009 at 01:39 PM
Sounds like your recovery CD is corrupt. Get an affordable replacement at:

http://www.oemsoftwaresource.com