XP keeps rebooting and will not Repair

Closed
Diva32 - Dec 9, 2009 at 02:48 PM
 diva32 - Dec 13, 2009 at 04:37 PM
Hello,

I downloaded what I thought was a free virus download and it currupted another system that using XP and its currupted a file and now I cannot get back into Windows. At start up it just keeps rebooting itself. I have tried to choose turn off auto reboot after system failure and it reboots again to the OS options. I have gone into the advanced settings of F8 and tried all options there which include: safe mode, samode networking, bios, debugging, restore, etc... and when I chose one of those options it just reboots back to the OS options. So I put the XP cd in with an attempt to reinstall windows or repair. It tells me that i8042prt.sys file is currupted and set up cannot start and to restart; so im back at square one. I even tried loading the XP disc and using the repair option and Windows XP CD is not repairing. Any other suggestions here, I need step by step if possible. i WAS going to try and install a repaid and recovery software to a disc from a website and load that cd on the computer in order to repair. Will this work? Or can I download a virus software to a cd and run that by booting from cd? will that fix?

PS, I get to the part in the Setup and press "R" then i come to a DOS prompt that says:

Type EXIT to quit the recovery Console and restart the computer.

Please help if you can!
Related:

4 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Dec 11, 2009 at 10:06 PM
This is a link to full instructions to do a XP repair/install

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Good luck
Hi There, I am sorry. I will try this and hopes that it works. One question; if it does not work. I have to get a new computer or harddrive. Dont I? \

Thanks,

Diva 32
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Dec 13, 2009 at 04:27 PM
No. you can still try a full XP install. But, that will delete all your data/files.

Good Luck
Yea i have tried the install and there is a curupt file. Which is i80042prt.sys. So the Full install lets me to the point where It tries to install but it stops when loading all files. There is a virus or worm on the system. I cannot remove that or even get past the full install.