Wireless internet

Closed
b10dxc1 - Dec 15, 2009 at 08:34 AM
 b10dxc1 - Dec 16, 2009 at 08:41 AM
Hello,
I am computer challenged!!! I rent a small apartment that was originally a small barn with no phone jack. I have a ibm thinkpad that is wireless ready. I want to get wireless internet service only. I have been looking online but am a bit confused. Do you absolutely have to have a phone jack in order to get wireless service? I don't want the phone jack because it costs too much as far as installation and I don't own my place.

I feel like there has to be something out there that I can plug into a wall that will transmit a signal from my computer to some phone tower which will allow me to connect wirelessly, or am I just making up a nice fantasy? Thanks for any help!
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Dec 15, 2009 at 12:30 PM
Thanks Xpcman. However I want to use the internet at home. There are already many hotspots close to my area that I can go to for free which is fine when I am out of the house. However if I just want to look up a quick recipe online, I want to be able to do that from home.