Linux compatibility with HP dv6000

Solved/Closed
Aravinthan - Sep 4, 2008 at 12:52 AM
 jeff - Mar 5, 2015 at 01:40 PM
Hello,
I like to know whether HP pavilion dv6000 laptop (loaded with vista) is compatibile with linux os. If any one done this job please tell me. All the inbuilt things are working properly or not (web cam, fingerprint reader, quic play etc..)
Related:

10 responses

xboxcustoms69
May 24, 2009 at 09:23 PM
I know this is late, but im on one right now posting this from within Ubuntu 9.04. The only thing ive had issues with were restricted drivers for the wireless, but that was relatively simple. I dont have a remote or a webcam for it and I havent tested all the features. But so far it seems smooth, even with compiz and emerald.
Hey, I have the same propblem with the wireless.. Could you guys post your method here?
Late, I know
sudo apt-get install b43-fwcutter && sudo apt-get install firmware-b43-installer

command prompt/ubuntu dv6000 drivers
toyota.cz Posts 15 Registration date Wednesday September 3, 2008 Status Member Last seen April 15, 2009 2
Sep 4, 2008 at 08:20 AM
yes of course you can load linux on it but are you sure you can mange with it?

because windows and linux are not the same at all
I tested it on my dv2000 (2680en) laptop. I have installed debian lenny on it and it works just fine :)
MorphedRenegade
May 10, 2010 at 07:25 AM
I have HP Pavillion dv-6460ee and am running Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. It does have a webcam but haven't tried it nor have I tried Wireless yet. But everything else is smooth as silk and am enjoying it. I was using Windows 7 earlier than I installed ubuntu on it (Formatted the "Entire Hard disk" and made Linux partitioning with ext4 file system) but I must say that besides the fact that more than half of the ubuntu OS is Command Line based as opposed to Windows OS which is totally menu based, I am enjoying Ubuntu. But I must add here that anyone who wishes to use Linux as his/her Operating System must know that it is entirely different OS than Windows. You can't expect Linux based OS to provide the all Graphic eye candies Microsoft has been selling to us since decades and other time wasting features most people won't even need (Linux based OS these days are fully customizable as I found). You cant have a "My Computer" in which you can do a lot of stuff easily (Yes, Linux is not easy but its worth the efforts). If you have ever used Apple iPhone, you can have a bit understanding of "Repository" system because all of what you need for your linux OS comes from repositories. My sound works better than Vista and/or Windows 7, so does almost everything else. Internet works wonders on it as compared to windows OS in terms of usage and speed both of your computer and you internet. I recommend using linux OS atleast as a secondary OS before one goes for it as it Does rock your world once you get used to it.

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Yes, it does

I am using hp6705au
installed cheese for the webcam.
try restricted drivers manager if you have problem with graphics or wireless.
I have hp dv6 I have a lot of linux distribution on it. I don't have sound and cant enhance visuals.
I have the same problem. No sound. Please help.
MiChNiK > charlie
Oct 18, 2009 at 04:13 AM
charlie...try upgrade/install alsa 1.0.21 ...after this operation sound on my hp working fine!:)
I have HP Pavilion dv6-2160ce and running Debian Linux Squeeze. I must say that I've had several problems with wireless configuration, because support for card by Broadcom is NYI in Linux but followed manual written in here: https://wiki.debian.org/wl and all working. I didn't tested the features like fingerprint scan, HDMI tuner, but it's not too important for me. But if anyone get these things working let me know.
i have a hp dv61103ax
i had sound problems aswell but fixed easily here : http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-fix-sound-problem-in-ubuntu-9-10-karmic.html
thats with 64 bit karmic ubuntu of course
K.M.Aravinthan
Sep 17, 2008 at 02:08 AM
Thank You very much for the answer. one more thing one of my friend also having the HP Pavillion dv6500, is this laptop also support with the Linux OS with all in built feature
I put the latest Ubuntu on my old DV6000. Lacking were the wireless drivers, they installed easily. This being 2015, (dating post) there is a lot more data&fixes available. The Linux community is huge and very willing to help.
Please post your Linux compatibility reviews for this product at https://ubuntuhcl.org/