Vlc for ubuntu 8.04 [Solved/Closed]

prashu - Aug 31, 2008 at 12:24 PM - Latest reply:  maddy
- Sep 1, 2010 at 09:13 AM
Hello,

can anyone give me the procedure to install Vlc..??? i'm having ubuntu 8.04..
plz someone...
See more 

39 replies

Best answer
Anonymous User - Aug 31, 2008 at 05:22 PM
Thank you
Hello :)

Vlc is usualy installed by default on ubuntu 8.04

maybe not on your one,then,open terminal and type:

sudo apt-get install vlc

after that you will find it on the "start-here" menu ;)

good luck

Thank you, Anonymous User 11

Something to say? Add comment

CCM has helped 1667 users this month

Anonymous User > Payal - Feb 7, 2009 at 06:25 PM
Hi ;)

You must reconfigure your software sources in the administration menu,
just try to unselect all,then close the menu,
after that,open the source packages menu again and select all again,a update will follow after closing this menu.

Retry to install after that

good luck ;)
Payal > Anonymous User - Feb 21, 2009 at 12:45 PM
Thanks for your reply ....
But when I tried that... I received an error message titled "Could not download all repository indexes" after rechecking all the options...
hello
i did whatever u have told here but it couldnot install vlc,
instead it displayed message like this

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.

Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely that
the package is simply not installable and a bug report against
that package should be filed.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
vlc: Depends: libtar but it is not installable
Depends: libvcdinfo0 (> 0.7.23) but it is not installable
Depends: libvlc0 (>= 0.8.6.release.e+x264svn20071224+faad2.6.1) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libwxbase2.6-0 (>= 2.6.3.2.2) but it is not installable
Depends: libwxgtk2.6-0 (>= 2.6.3.2.2) but it is not installable
Depends: libxosd2 (>= 2.2.13) but it is not installable
Depends: vlc-nox (= 0.8.6.release.e+x264svn20071224+faad2.6.1-0ubuntu3.2) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: vlc-plugin-pulse but it is not going to be installed
E: Broken packages
Thanks dear ..............i am using first time Ubuntu so thanks.......again....
thanks a lot it worked
Thank you
To install vlc there is a .deb file available using you can install the vlc. its a single installer.. Using this file you can install vlc on any comp with out internet. Follow the link to download..

http://www.videohelp.com/forum/archive/vlc-0-9-2-deb-for-ubuntu-t357107.html
Thank you
HOW INSTALL PLAYERS IN UBUNTU8.0
Hi ,to install VLC on Ubuntu just folow the instructions that others did give above or follow these instructions :

open your terminal and type :

sudo apt-get install vlc
that`a alll,

if you need other media players like Mplayer with win codecs please see my favorite site for tutorials ,unixman at http://zinovsky.blogspot.com
balask > beyond88 - Feb 27, 2009 at 11:52 AM
when i typed the command wat u said as sudo apt-get install vlc in terminal i got the error as
E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11 Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?
now what should i do to rectify tis error......
am new to ubuntu.pls help..
am using ubuntu 8.04
Monty Khosa > balask - Jun 5, 2009 at 11:45 AM
All you need to do is close the uninstall/install window, or wait until its downloading is complete. Then write the command again.
sahara > beyond88 - Mar 20, 2009 at 05:33 AM
Thank you , i installed vlc
Thank u so much. I didn't know that more than one installation is not possible at a time.
Thank you
go to application,accessoris,terminal and usecommand (sudo apt-get install vlc vlc-plugin-* mozilla-plugin-vlc) and give a pasword
Thank you
Sry man, I had found out using forums how to install it a long time ago and have forgotten. But would you happen to know what's wrong with the computer because the add/remove programs will not work. I can install using wine but nothing else. My friend said the applications was not accepting installs for some reason and fixed it, but it's back to doing the same thing. Can you help me or point me into the direction of someone who might be able to? Thankz and sry I can't help. Look on the forums, you will find something that helps.
This awesome dude found the answer
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=963816

I don't have any clue what I am doing, but if you remove the third party with korn and ppa it works.

3 hours to install VLC, I feel like an idiot.
Thank you
Try upgrading to the new version 9 ubuntu or kubuntu. I prefer kubuntu, to me it is much more userfriendly and more complete desktop system. Version 9, should load all your drivers automatically and if VLC is not install, just down and install the synaptic program manager and it be much more easy to install any program you like.
Thank you
thanx a lot yaar...
it worked... i'm new to linux thts the probs... :)
thanx again
Anonymous User - Sep 1, 2008 at 01:18 PM
you're welcome ;)

if you are searching for others packages,and if they are in the official repository of ubuntu,
you can install them the same way

;))
Sandeep 89 Posts Friday October 10, 2008Registration date July 5, 2012 Last seen - Oct 25, 2008 at 07:03 AM
Thank you
Hey thanx man....i also installed it.....dont know much abt terminal!!!
Thank you
hi

how to install in vlc

Open the console and type apt-get install vlc
I don't even know what yall are talking about open consol. I need something to play avi's dragon player and movie player does not. What is this terminal w/e. How do i get to it to install vlc. I am brand new to ubuntu and don't know the slightest thing about it. it's completely unlike windows. I can't even download my webcam on it again. HEEEELP me.
The terminal can be found in Applications > Accessories - Terminal. The Application menu can be found at the top left corner of your screen ( If you haven't moved it. )
Thank you
Hey! Thanks so much for that!!!
Thank you
when it asks for a sudo password after i type the command line in terminal...i am not able to enter the password at all...please help
just try to type ur password and press enter. it does not show symbols when u type ur password in the terminal.
tarun singh - Jan 23, 2009 at 02:16 AM
Thank you
Yaar Start The Rpm Command
Thank you
Hi, i.m also very new to ubuntu and need some help. I had sound when i first installed ubuntu. Sound from pings and such from the computer and from internet. Somewhere in between upgrading Ubuntu and installing flash player( i did them back to back before checking) I've lost all sound from Ubuntu! No flash sound, no pings are nothing. C.d.'s wont even play!
I've tried switching the options in the sound folder from Auto-Detect to ALSA, to the OSS options and i get nothing.I have it on an Dell XPS 410. Thanx in advance.
Thank you
check and make sure it says all available applications. and then to the left it says All. Type in Vlc and then you'll see it. That was a no brainer that really pissed me off when I didn't think of that myself.
Thank you
Well, I really don't know then. I'm not that advanced of a user. I still have a lot to learn. My cpu keeps blocking the installing on add/remove programs. My friend fixed it the last time and now it's doing the same thing again. He's to far away now to fix it. Which really sucks cause it looks like they've added a lot of cool stuff.
Thank you
thanks dude thanks for ur help.
Thank you
thanks
Thank you
type in terminal as following

sudo apt-get install vlc