Linksys router setup says it can't find it

Closed
alanash - Dec 31, 2009 at 02:29 PM
 alanash - Jan 1, 2010 at 10:57 AM
Hello,
I just got a Linksys Wireless G router (WRT54GS), using a Charter cable modem, and when I do the Easy Set up install cd, I connect all the cables (from modem to router, router back to modem), I get to the last step where I plug the router in.. it powers up, lights come on (Power, WLAN, Internet, and the Ethernet # it's connected to), but the setup program gives me "Error 344, can't locate router.. make sure LAN cable is plugged in, etc. etc" I may have forgotten the actual error number, but why is this happening? I can't connect to the internet or get the 192.168.1.1 page because it doesn't know the router is even there. I've tried reset button, iprelease/renew, nothing works. I do have a VPN installed to my office, but I'm not connected to that at all when this is going on. Any help appreciated.
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Dec 31, 2009 at 05:37 PM
Please go to this site for info about connecting your router.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-set-up-a-network-4097198

I am puzzled by your statement "from modem to router, router back to modem" The cables should go modem to router and then a second cable from the router to your PC. there is NO router back to modem cable.

Good Luck
You're right, it is back to pc, I just typed it in wrong the first time, my bad. I've tried all of those things listed, it still can't find the router. Even when I bypass the setup program and just plug the cables in as it states, I get no internet connection and no 192.168... page to adjust settings.