IDE hardrive to SATA motherboard problem

Closed
yoohooboy - Jan 4, 2010 at 04:09 PM
 GeeHans - Jan 1, 2011 at 10:01 AM
Hello,
I recently purchased a new SATA motherboard and SATA HD. When I received the MB I realized it also had 1 IDE port so I kept my old IDE HD and set it up as the slave to the new SATA HD. The system recognizes it but when I explore the drive it only shows approx. 10GB of info. The drive actually has 45GB of files on there but I'm unable to access/see the other files. And some of the files it shows me were deleted 2 years ago but it shows them as if there were never deleted at all. This is the action I've taken as of now:

Folder options - Show Hidden Files
Unplugged the IDE HD, restarted w/o it, then connected and restarted again

My next plan is to update the driver and possibly get an IDE to SATA adapter to run the drive from. Other than that I have no idea what to do. The drive recognizes that there is 45GB but only shows 10GB.
Related:

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Jan 4, 2010 at 04:29 PM
You should set the IDE disk drive as Master. SATA drives don't have the master/slave system that IDE drives have. But, I don't think that is your problem. Did you install a fresh copy of XP on the SATA drive and are you sure it is booting from the SATA disk? Where there multiple partitions on the IDE drive? You might download this free software it might be able to repair the disk:

https://download.cnet.com/EaseUS-Partition-Master-Free-Edition/3000-2248_4-10863346.html?tag=mncol%3Bpop&cdlPid=10898593

Good Luck
In response to you're questions, I did install a fresh copy of XP to the SATA HD and the computer is booting from there. The IDE HD was not partitioned at all. When I get home I'll change the jump position on the IDE drive and check out the download on CNET. Should my next step be to remove the drive and hook up to a IDE MB?
I have a Dell Dimension 4550 (IDE) and would like to upgrade the motherboard to SATA. What are my options? I purchased a SSD HD and realized that it could not be installed because of the IDE system I currently have. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.