Update two different spreadsheets from one ma

Closed
Chill Mo - Jan 30, 2010 at 10:13 AM
rizvisa1 Posts 4478 Registration date Thursday January 28, 2010 Status Contributor Last seen May 5, 2022 - Feb 1, 2010 at 12:04 AM
Hello,
I need to update two completely different spreadsheets from one master spreadsheet in Excel. How do I accomplish this? Please help. Thanx in advance for your assistance!
Related:

7 responses

rizvisa1 Posts 4478 Registration date Thursday January 28, 2010 Status Contributor Last seen May 5, 2022 766
Jan 30, 2010 at 10:19 AM
Man put some meat to your question. Right now one can only answer in as broad-brush by saying that by either using macro or by having the "slave" workbook linked to the master one. I am sure that this is not the answer you are looking for. So a bit more detail of issue would help
I need certain fields on different tabs in the "slave" spreadsheets to update the "master" spreadsheet. I need a way to accomplish this. All three "slave" spreadsheets are owned by different people; however, we all report to one boss that uses a "master" spreadsheet. I want these "slave" spreadsheets to update the "master" one. Thanks!
Can someone please include a sample spreadsheet?
I am not sure what sort of updates is expected, but lets say you simply want a value from the a specific cell from the slave workbook to appear on a master workbook, then one option you can try is that in the master workbook you can have links to individual. In the example below the cell in master workbook is to pick up the value from cell A1, sheet1 of the workbook slave1
=[slave1.xls]Sheet1!$A$1
We keep track of sales figures, by three different people, our boss wants us to each update her master spreadsheet. We have columns like number of sales and the respective amounts. Would your formula keep the cumulative total or would it just erase, when each of us update the sheet? Let me know. Thanks for your help.

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
rizvisa1 Posts 4478 Registration date Thursday January 28, 2010 Status Contributor Last seen May 5, 2022 766
Jan 31, 2010 at 08:47 PM
Basically what formula will do is what ever is the value on cell A1 in client book, it will make show that value there

so if you have three ppl, you would want to have three cells to show up each figure

on master
A1 =[slave1.xls]Sheet1!$A$1
B1 =[slave2.xls]Sheet1!$A$1
C1 =[slave3.xls]Sheet1!$A$1

Basically this is an idea. Catch is that the three workbook should be available to the master when master opens. I have a little idea what you are trying to do but does she want every thing off your book into her (all details ) or just totals in which case, you add total on your book and let her book pull value from where the totals are on your book
She doesn't need everything on my spreadsheet; however, I want her spreadsheet to contain a total from all three of us. All three of us are using the same spreadsheet, which contain number of sales and their respective amounts. Her spreadsheet should contain the total from all three (xls1 - 3, xls2 - 4, xls3 - 3...master should display 10). Does this make sense?
Feb 1, 2010 at 12:04 AM
sure
then what you can do is
have on master
=[slave1.xls]Sheet1!$A$1 + [slave2.xls]Sheet1!$A$1 + [slave3.xls]Sheet1!$A$1

hope it helps