USB HDD Help!

Closed
walsbg22 Posts 2 Registration date Monday September 22, 2008 Status Member Last seen September 23, 2008 - Sep 22, 2008 at 09:06 PM
walsbg22 Posts 2 Registration date Monday September 22, 2008 Status Member Last seen September 23, 2008 - Sep 23, 2008 at 03:48 PM
Hello,
Recently my laptops hard drive went out, it was not a surprise since its like 4 yrs old. I saw how to edit the windows xp disk so I could boot onto a usb hdd, since everything but the hard drive works (including the cd-rom drive). So, I purchased a usb hdd and edited the xp disc to install and boot from a usb hdd. I changed the bios to boot from usb first, cd-rom second. I went to install and during the process it kept saying there is no bootable hdd. So I tried a linux install but it could not find an usb hdd, nor could its livecd. So am assuming the usb ports are broke. Is there any way I can go from usb to esata. Like plug the usb hdd into a port that converts it over to esata?
Related:

1 response

signaldown Posts 15 Registration date Sunday August 10, 2008 Status Member Last seen February 28, 2009 2
Sep 23, 2008 at 05:34 AM
hey there,

you are booting from the cd and its normal that it will tell you such thing. when you launch windows setup from the external hdd after is has copied the files you must select form which device you want windows to start up in the bios options. the external hard disk is acting like a bootable cd and hence windows cant be installed on it.
walsbg22 Posts 2 Registration date Monday September 22, 2008 Status Member Last seen September 23, 2008
Sep 23, 2008 at 03:48 PM
I even booted with linux livecd and it could not recognize the deviice. I think my usb ports are broke. Can i plug my usb into something that lets me plug it into my esats port?