How to find a value with multiple variables a

Closed
krish - Feb 2, 2010 at 02:13 AM
 krish - Feb 2, 2010 at 05:04 AM
Hello,
I have 4 variables - 2 text and two numeric. the text variables need to be compared to two columns to pick up matching cells and the numeric variables to be compared to numeric columns to select cells having a range within which the value falls. Based on the resultant values in the 6 cells, , I need to pick up a value from another column.

2 responses

venkat1926 Posts 1863 Registration date Sunday June 14, 2009 Status Contributor Last seen August 7, 2021 811
Feb 2, 2010 at 04:52 AM
suppose you have four possibilities
a,b,1,2

now what do you want to find

1. find in which cell in the sheet this "a" occurs
the answer may be D5
or
2. find in which column in the sheet this "a" occurs
the answer may coumn D

can you clarify with this example
Hi,

I am a novice when it comes to Excel, please bear with me.

There are 4 variables - a , b n1, n2

a = name

b = city

n1 & n2 = values from 1 to 100,

data is entered into the 4 fileds representing the above variables.

There is an array having 7 columns, 1st column is having names, second column is having cities. 3rd and 4th column have start and end of ranges of valeus against which n1 is checked. Similarly columns 5 & 6 have ranges against which n2 is checked. The 7th column contains the values that need to be picked up as the final result.

I need to check 'a' against a column having different names. 'b' with a column having different cities. 'n1' against two colums having ranges (for ex in first column the start of range is, say 45, in the next column the end of range, say 90. I need to check n1 against many rows in this column having different ranges and pick one which n1 falls into. Similarly for n2.

based on the result of the 4 checks, there is another column that has values, i need to get the right code corresponding to the 4 .

hope I am much clearer now.

thanks
venkat1926 Posts 1863 Registration date Sunday June 14, 2009 Status Contributor Last seen August 7, 2021 811
Feb 2, 2010 at 04:30 AM
NORMALLY you need not differentiate between numeric and text columns
keep the cursor in A1
use edit-find (control+F) and type the text or number in the "find what" window and click "next" at the bottom. go on clicking "next;
or alternatively click "all"
Hi,

thanks for reply. I think you have misunderstood my question. The requirement is to build a formula in excel to get a value based on 4 variables that are captured and compared in array having columns with similar values (if text) or having a range iof numeric value within which the numeric value falls. Hope this is clear.