Hard disk space

Solved/Closed
sudeep - Feb 3, 2010 at 08:49 AM
 fishsticks - Feb 6, 2011 at 12:33 AM
Hello,
i have installed ubuntu first time after installing windows vista ,my hard disk space which is 320 gb sata hard disk showing full space for installation first time for windows,not showing after install ubuntu,windows showing only 298 gb ,but ununto shows 320 gb option for using full space ,but not install inside of this free space,it takes space in 298 gb ,if i format my full hard disk in ubuntu then i install windows then ubutu not works.vice versa please suggest me how can i get my full space for windows ,i have also run Fdisk command.
Related:

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,827
Feb 3, 2010 at 03:51 PM
You can't get the full space for Windows. Linux requires a partition type that Windows CAN NOT read. The best you can do is install Windows first and then install Linux with the minimum space it will allow. You might have a problem re-installing Windows if you currently have Linux installed on the hard disk. You must delete the Linux partitions using a bootable Linux CD first.

Good Lucki
xpcman is right.
Windows can't read the format that Linux uses.
Step 1) Install Windows.
Step 2) Install Linux
Step 2a) Allow Windows a partition space of 25Gb (This a little larger than the "system requirements for the 64-bit version of Windows 7)
Step 2b) Allow Linux a partition space of 25Gb (This is WAY more than you will need but Linux is very customizable and you might actually use that some how)
Step 2c) Make the third partition space a Swap. This allows all operating systems to access the files located on this. FORMAT THIS WITH NTFS!
Step 3) Use the final partition you just made to save everything.
Step 4) Enjoy dual booting!

Note - Don't forget to encrypt your hard drive(s) ... you now have to encrypt every partition to my knowledge. I advise deep freezing after customizing and updating. Make sure to install a virus program for both Linux and Windows on each of them so you can actually fix yourself if all hell breaks loose.