Safe mode

Closed
murfer - Feb 7, 2010 at 08:52 AM
eran352 Posts 1 Registration date Saturday February 6, 2010 Status Member Last seen February 7, 2010 - Feb 7, 2010 at 12:07 PM
Hello,
I'm trying to help a friend. She's got the blue screen of death. I have a ghost disk from work and i can see all her files and the c drive. When i take the ghost disk out i get the bsod. I tried to restore it with an xp disk but say's i need an administrator password. I don't have one. I'm sure she doesn't either. Do I have to copy all her files and then just add a clean install. And when i do that sometimes i get this i have to have the OEM. What's this?! And as far as safe mode goes I always get a black screen with a lot of writing to scroll through and never get to the welcome screen how do you get to that place? Please help.

Thanks

Murfer
Related:

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Feb 7, 2010 at 11:12 AM
Try hitting "enter" when it asks for the password. ie don't enter anything
eran352 Posts 1 Registration date Saturday February 6, 2010 Status Member Last seen February 7, 2010
Feb 7, 2010 at 12:07 PM
I had the harddrive in my HP replaced 2 years ago when my PC crashed. The person who did that installed XP pro. I had the home version before. Microsoft had sent me a disk for home edodtion with pack 2 2002 version, when my PC started malfunctioning. Since the tech put in the XP, I never used that disk. Now I find out that my XP pro is not genuine. How can I replace it and install the home version I received from Microsoft?
Please I need instructions for dummies. I am a senior citizen who knows very little about computers.
Thanks
eran352