Outlook - get contacts/e-mails from old drive

Closed
Owen - Feb 28, 2010 at 05:17 AM
 Owen - Feb 28, 2010 at 01:32 PM
Hello,
I have installed a new drive on my PC - and done a clean install of XP and Office. My original c: drive is now slave drive F.

I had assumed that I would be able to search my old drive for .pst files and import them into my new install of outlook, as well as doing this with all my other files/settings/favorites etc. Using search I can only find one .pst file on my F: drive - a contacts file - but it is only 513KB in size, and last modified in March 2009. I had well over 1000 emails on my old outlook setup in various folders which I keep for reference. When I tried to open this file - outlook tells me that "it is not compatible with this version of the Personal Folders information service".

I was using everything up to last Thursday - and the drive hasn't failed - I just wanted a clean reinstall because everything was working so slowly.

Can anybody advise, or point me in the right direction of were to look for help? I have googled, and looked on Microsoft Knowledge base - but cannot find anything relevant.

Thanks
Owen
Related:

1 response

rizvisa1 Posts 4478 Registration date Thursday January 28, 2010 Status Contributor Last seen May 5, 2022 766
Feb 28, 2010 at 08:29 AM
Well could it be that some how you have OST file which is basically offline from server that one use later to resync. May be you can plug old HD back and recheck where the PST file is being saved.
Thanks for the reply. Sorry, I don't really understand what you mean about the OST file - but yes, it looks like the easiest solution will be to reinstall old drive as c: - and copy relevant pst files over. Just don't understand why I cannot see them now?

Owen