Black screen of death after LCD removal

Closed
jols007 - Mar 17, 2010 at 10:34 AM
 jols007 - Mar 18, 2010 at 07:01 AM
Hello,

I removed the broken LCD from my Dell Studio 1737. I figured I could just startup with any old serial monitor and use that as my primary/solo monitor until I bought a new LCD.

Everything was looking fine at startup. Dell logo, F2/F12 boot options, but no matter what I do here, it goes to the black screen of death.

So I know the spare monitor is able to get a visual, an older post seems to explain that I have to tell Windows to make it my default.

Any ideas how to do this without being able to actually open Windows?

Much thanks in advance.
Related:

3 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Mar 17, 2010 at 11:20 PM
Dell normally uses the Fn + F8 (both keys at the same time) to turn on the external monitor. The F8 key should be marked CRT/LCD.
Thanks xpcman, I will try in the AM and let you know the outcome.
I tried the Fn + F8 at startup and waited for a while and tried it. I also tried Fn/F6, F2, F8, basically everything I read in other threads. I did remove the entire LCD (wires (two of which go into a WLAN box?), top panel, screen, etc) and I'm wondering if they are hardwired interlocks that could maybe tell that the panel is open? I read somewhere else that the front panel has to be open past a certain point and maybe the wires I pulled out that were connected to the front panel and four strips tell the system to turn on the monitor?

Any thoughts?