Startup Repair failure after System Recovery

Closed
aaron - Mar 24, 2010 at 10:23 PM
 Blocked Profile - May 8, 2010 at 04:31 AM
Hello all and thank you for taking the time to view my post.

My computer is a HP running Windows Vista 32 bit, home edition

Well this is what my problem is, Two days ago my computer was struck by a virus

I then did a System Restore to 2 days ago before the virus struck. This was to no avail the restore was unable to finish and when it came back from the unsuccessful restore I then ran the System Recovery after the system restore was succefull I tried to boot my computer. As my computer was turning on Start up Repair starts up then has a error that it states "The operating system version is incompatible with Start up Repair "
I have tried to search around the internet and have found nothing.
I have run system checks on the memory, and the hard drive and nothing has came up on those being bad.
Thank You for your help.<conf>Windows Vista / Firefox 3.5.8</conf>
Related:

3 responses

Hey Gazmakka thanks for taking the time to help me out.
I believe I mest up a bit in my posting this is what I did.
A System Restore, followed by a System Recovery. The system restore did not work it finished early and told me it had a error. So then I did a system recovery witch I tried to do from backup discs I made long ago but it said it had a error on booting the cd's so I then choose to do the restore from a recovery hard drive that came with my computer. It stated it was successful in recovering my computer back to factory defaults but now when I try to start my computer is when I get the mess with start-up repair. And no I am not being able to open up to windows vista desktop.
gazmakka Posts 6 Registration date Thursday March 25, 2010 Status Member Last seen March 25, 2010 2
Mar 25, 2010 at 10:25 PM
hi aaron.
It sounds like the Startup Repair that didn't get underway using the backup discs that you made earlier just still may be trying to instal even though there is not a disc in an optical drive.
I presume that when you power up your computer that you do get the BIOS POST screen and then the next step would be Starting Windows ( I use w7 Ult X64) but you are not getting that far.......is there a black screen that gives you two options: one to open Vista and another to do the StartupRepair? If there is, you have to remove the Startup Repair option and to do that you have to get into msconfig > Boot (tab) > and delete the entry for the start up repair. It might be set as Default.
I know that you can't get into open Windows but can you get into Safe Mode pushing F8 key or what ever key Vista/your BIOS set up uses? If you can get into Safe Mode you will be able to get into msconfig and delete the entry for Startup Repair that MAY be there. If it is, highlight it, right click it and then click Delete.
Then Highlight the entry for Vista and set it as Default if it hasn't done so itself.
Reboot and ya just might be good to go again.
You know how to get into msconfig? I think you do but in case you don't :
go Start > All Programs > Accessories > Run..............easier yet is Start > and type Run in the Search box. When Run window opens type in msconfig and hit enter. Let it complete and see what the resulting report is.
Also, after you have done the above and while your in a command prompt window area, you could try this:
open command prompt
enter "sfc/scannow" and hit enter. You don't type in the quotation marks I used.
And its best to Right click > Run as Adminustartor each one or the actions as sfc/scannow will not run without Admin authority.
Have you tried using the keyboard arrow keys to highlight the Vista option in the choice screen at boot POST? If there are two options there, that is to say.
Post back how you get on and info about exactly how far into the Startup your computer is getting.
gazmakka

edit: ps...if you do get into Safe Mode and can use your internet, get the Trojan Remover and use it while your in Safe Mode:
https://www.simplysup.com/tremover/download.html (32 Bit only sorry)

Another excellent freebie Nasty remover is MalwareBytes. It does a byte x byte check on your sytem.
https://www.simplysup.com/tremover/download.html

Most viruses and other nasties are embedded in the Windows folder.....Heart of the Sunrise.
Blocked Profile
May 8, 2010 at 04:31 AM
Sometimes while recovery you may have to face 'your operating system version is incompatible with start up repair' error. This error arises when the some registry file of your system are missing and in this case you have to reapir your Registry file by any registry software first. But sometimes this may arise due to your recovery software. In such case you should use any reliable recovery software. vista data recovery software is one of the advance and reliable recovery software. To get more visit http://www.datarecoveryvista.org