Ubuntu and Windows Vista Wireless Issues

Closed
Tawny - Oct 14, 2008 at 04:13 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Oct 14, 2008 at 05:11 PM
Hello,

My main computer runs on Ubuntu, which is where I have my Netgear Wireless Router hooked up. I just got a new Dell desktop that runs on Windows Vista in which I have a Netgear Wireless Adapter installed. It says I have almost 100% connectivity in the wireless adapter's program, but the computer itself says I have limited connectivity, so I cannot get on the net.

I'm not very tech savvy and don't really have a clue about the Ubuntu system, but I know it's the Vista that has the problem because I had a Windows XP running with the wireless adapter connected to the Ubuntu computer recently and there were no problems.

I read somewhere about changing the encryption types on both computers but I'm not sure how to do this. Does anyone know anything about these systems and could you give me a step by step on how to resolve this? Thank you.
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Oct 14, 2008 at 05:11 PM
You have a problem with a Windows Service called DHCP. DHCP gets the IP address from the router - without this address the internet doesn't work. So you have the wireless adapter saying you have a great connection and Windows not being able to use it (it may say limited connection).

You can check the status of DHCP -
go to START - CONTROL PANEL - click classic view - select Admin Tools - select Services
look for the DHCP line - is it started? and is the startup type automatic?
if not started - right click the DHCP Client" line select properties and set the startup type to automatic and manually start the service.
Try your browser again it might work this time (It may take a reboot to get it to work)

Second attempt it the first doesn't work:

go to START - CONTROL PANEL - Network and Sharing Center - set up a connection or network - connect to the internet - next this might establish the software connections you need.