Desperate for Help!

Closed
Casey - Mar 31, 2010 at 09:05 AM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - Mar 31, 2010 at 04:26 PM
Hi, my computer has some major issues. Out of no where my anti-virus is gone, now I have Constant pop-ups from "XP Defender" saying I have a virus, security breach, malware, data leaks, system damage, you name it it's popping up! It says I need a reg key for it to work, I've tried installing AVG Security and it comes up w a blank page. I've tried malware sites, same, blank page. When I try and open IE it gives me a "open program with" prompt, The only way I can get it opened is to run it with out add-ons and even then it promts me w a system error every page change. PLEASE HELP?

Thanks ~ Casey

1 response

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,168
Mar 31, 2010 at 04:26 PM
Hello Casey

I hope I am on time to help you!

This XP Defender is a pain in the you-know-where, and as the British would say, this is a sticky wicket.

I can help you remove it but it will take some work and patience.

I trust that you can boot into safe mode with networking.

We will attempt this step which may be the first of 2 or 3, depending on what damage the Trojan Horse did to your system.

1. Please download on your desktop Combox Fix:

https://download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/ComboFix.exe

Before you run ComboxFix, please:

2. Close all open Windows including this one.

3. Close or disable all running Antivirus, Antispyware, and Firewall programs as they may interfere with the proper running of ComboFix.

4. Disconnect your modem.

5. Double click on the Combofix icon.

Windows is issuing this prompt because ComboFix does not have a digital signature. This is perfectly normal and safe and you can click on the Run button to continue.

6. Agree with the disclaimer and the creation of the recovery.

While the program is scanning your computer, it will change your clock format, so do not be concerned when you see this happen. When ComboFix is finished it will restore your clock settings to their previous settings. You will also see the text in the ComboFix window being updated as it goes through the various stages of its scan.

At the end of the scan a log will be saved in: C:\ComboFix.txt

Please copy the log and post it here and describe to me how your system is performing.

Regards