Redirecting Searches; Unwanted Pop-Ups

Solved/Closed
QueenDani - Apr 7, 2010 at 09:34 PM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - Apr 8, 2010 at 05:21 AM
Hi, I have a virus on my computer. I'm not quite sure what it is but I think it's either Antivirus 2009 or 2008 and frankly I don't care. I just want it gone. I already have Symantec installed but it must've not caught it. I've heard about Avast & Hitman but I'm afraid to download either one because I don't like downloading every little thing unless I'm sure it works.

The redirecting happens on every browser I have. [Safari, IE, Firefox [and I'm not sure but I think Opera too.}]

I've also tried "Click Start --> Right click on My Computer --> Click Manage --> Click on Device Manager on the left panel --> Under View menu, click on Show hidden devices, you will see a bunch of Non-plug and play drivers appear --> scroll down to find TDSSserv.sys --> Right click on it and Disable" but I don't see a TDSSserv.sys.

I don't know what to do! Please! Please, help me.
Related:

1 response

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,171
Apr 8, 2010 at 05:21 AM
Hello QueenDani,

Correct me if I'm wrong but I can detect frustration and anger.

The type of virus affecting you computer is familiar to me. Symantec will gladly help you to remove it in exchange fo $99.95, that is to show how much they stand by their product.

I would much like to see the processes and registry entries susceptible to be hiding this riditecting trojan.

Please first, lets us try a very simple solution and if that does not get rid of it I will require a log.

Solution NO 1

Please download, install and run Spybot Search and Destroy which is veery well equipped to remove most redirecting trojans

Upon installation, I suggest you uncheck the "Tea Timer" component, you do not need it. You may download from here:

https://ccm.net/downloads/security-and-maintenance/4561-spybot-search-destroy/

Solution NO2 (if no.1 was not successful)

Download and install Hyjackthis. Request a scan and save a log. Copy the log and paste it here:

http://free.antivirus.com/hijackthis/

Please download version 2.0.3 beta

Let me know