The dreaded black screen with only the cursor

Closed
Tessa - Apr 29, 2010 at 10:34 PM
 wang - Apr 30, 2010 at 01:23 PM
The other night I was on my HP laptop, just finishing a virus scan (Kaspersky), and neglected to turn it off for the night, only closing it and putting it into sleep mode before I, myself went to sleep. The next day upon opening it I was greeted by only a black screen and my cursor instead of the blue welcome screen. I turned it fully off using the power button figuring it would fix itself if I restarted it, this didn't work so I unplugged it, turned it off, and removed the battery to try again when I got back home. When i tried again that afternoon I immediatly heard a very loud, bloodcurdling "beep" comign from the computer, needless to say I hurriedly turned it off. Since then it had not beeped again and has continued to show me the black screen and cursor instead of the welcome screen. Safe mode also doesn't work. I even tried pressing F8 to do a system restore, I got to the window but the system restore seems to have had absolutely no effect on my computer. I have no idea who to do now as my laptop cam preinstalled with windows Vista. Please help, in this day and age my laptop sort of runs my life.
Related:

1 response

I seem to have the same problem...I ran Kaspersky and left my computer on. Now after I log in the screen is black with only the mouse cursor showing.