Whacked out

Closed
Joe - Oct 30, 2008 at 10:21 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Oct 31, 2008 at 01:16 AM
Hello,

i tired installing windows service pack 2 so that i would be able to put music into my new ipod nano 3rd generation. Ater i tried installing it the computer restarted, and it wont get to the windows screen. Ive tried runing in safe mode, last good known configuration, and all sorts of things but its no good. i just turns off after it gets to the windows xp screen and tells me something about the winsrv application not being found. re-installing the winsrv application program might fix the problem but i dont know how to do that. can somebody please help me.

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Oct 31, 2008 at 01:16 AM
I found this years ago it may work for you - the problem may occur due to these factors.

1. The Winsrv.dll file or the Basesrv.dll file in C:\Windows\System32 is missing or is not updated during the installation of SP2.

2. The update KB824141 was installed.

3. The system registry is corrupted.

To troubleshoot this issue, we will uninstall SP2. Please note, since the computer cannot run properly, it is necessary for us to uninstall SP2 to resolve the issue. After the computer can run properly, we will remove the files that may lead to this problem and then reinstall SP2 again.

Please perform the following steps. The following steps are a little complicated, please read it carefully before you go any further.

1. First, disable any BIOS-level Anti-Virus protection.

2. Make sure you have set your CD-ROM as the first priority boot device. You may refer to your computer manual for information on how to do this.

3. Insert the Windows XP CD into your CD-ROM and reboot your computer.

4. When you see "Press any key to boot from CD" on the screen, press a key to let your computer boot from the Windows XP CD.

5. When the computer boots from the CD-ROM, it will check your hardware and then prompt you with the following options:

*To set up Windows XP now, press Enter.
*To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.
*To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

6. Press the R key to start the Recovery Console.

7. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you need to access from the Recovery Console.

8. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password, and then press Enter.(If you didn't set a password, just leave it blank.)

9. At the command prompt, type the following commands and press Enter after each line:

CD $NTServicePackUninstall$\SPUNINST

BATCH SPUNINST.TXT

EXIT

10. After restarting the computer, if the system boots successfully, please go to Add/Remove Programs and uninstall Windows XP Service Pack 2.

Note: If the computer does not boot successfully after using spuninst.txt, please edit the registry in Safe Mode:

a. Restart the computer.

B. Keep pressing the F8 key until the Windows Startup menu appears.

C. Choose Safe Mode, and press Enter.
(Note: In Safe Mode, your system display and Desktop will look and perform differently than in Normal Mode. This is only temporary.)

d. Type in "REGEDIT" and navigate to the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RpcSs

e. On the right Pane, right click on "ObjectName" and click Modify, change the Value Data box to "LocalSystem", and then click OK.

11. Restart the system, go to Add/Remove Programs and uninstall windows update "824141".

12. Restart the system again and try to reinstall Windows XP Service Pack 2.

Good Luck