Pavilion dv7.. Vista to XP

Solved/Closed
Vanillasky - Nov 1, 2008 at 09:32 AM
 mink - Oct 31, 2009 at 08:43 PM
Hello,

Basicly.. Laptop is working as it supposed to work with windows Vista, but the problem is.. I dont like that system. I would like to change it to Windows XP but whenever I try to run setup.. it crashes in the middle with blue screen saying that my hard disk might be damaged or there might be some viruses.
I tried to install windows 2000 and even 98.. but I recive exactly the same error at the same point. My friends told me that there must be some kind of protection on hard disk not letting me do it.

so.. my question is: how can I remove windows Vista and install windows XP?
Related:

54 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Feb 5, 2009 at 06:25 PM
this site has ALL the answers fo the XP conversion:

http://www.laptops-drivers.com/hp-laptop/installing-windows-xp-hp-pavilion-dv7t-series.html
rajbind kumar
Feb 7, 2009 at 07:05 AM
i have a hp laptop with vista I want to format but it is not happening .i have also a vista cd but it will not help me
enoughisenough
Feb 19, 2009 at 02:29 AM
joyride_2, on Tuesday February 17, 2009 02:56:04 AM
this is hillarius! Not much people like vista. At the store where you all purchase your laptops, you all knew it came with vista. Why the hell did you buy that laptop in the first place anyways?

HP Pavilion dv7-1232nr for $600 was a way better of a bargain (in terms of specs CPU, video, monitor size, & ram) than any Toshibas on sale at the time. (And still is)
Windows XP Ultimate Edition (by Johnny) is hopeful.

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Feb 26, 2009 at 07:05 PM
This is a link to the SATA drivers you need to slipstream in Windows XP

http://icrontic.com/downloads/slipstream_windows_xp_drivers
What a bunch of complete ass hats. First off there's nothing garbage about Vista. What we have here are a bunch of stupid, whining, know-nothings that want to pretend they are techs or even know what they are doing.
ACTUALLY IF U HAVE BOUGHT A LAPTOP OR A PC FROM A VENDOR LIKE HP,DELL,HCL, OR SOME THING LIKE BRANDED THEY PROGRAMS THE HARD DISKS TO BE COMPATIBLE ONLY TO THEIR OS ONLY. THAT'S THE PROBLEM IN GETTING BRANDED PC.

VISIT: WWW.SHARE2CHEER.BLOGSPOT.COM FOR MORE INTERESTING THINGS
AndyM4c Posts 4 Registration date Friday March 6, 2009 Status Member Last seen March 10, 2009 3
Mar 10, 2009 at 05:17 AM
I know what you are getting at Surfer but you are not quite correct in what you say. When a vendor asks a manufacturer to design a computer for them they are asked what OS it will be required to run as well as things like HD size, Ram, CPU speed etc. The manufacturer then constructs the machine based on those specs with little and in most cases no regard for compatability for other OSes. Alterations to the stock BIOS code are often made to make it machine specific or indeed custom made BIOSes are used. But the Hard Disks are not programmed to only accept the vendors OS that is not physically possible as they are only storage devices and cannot be programmed. Calls for drivers for hardware are handled by either the BIOS or the OS. Therefore provided that compatible drivers exist, that the BIOS has not been altered/designed in a way so as to prevent altering the boot order, and that the chipset itself will allow it, it is possible to put any PC based OS on any PC.

I think the calls for a class action will prove to be fruitless it would be like trying to sue Ford because you cannot put a Toyota engine into their car. I do think however their is a case when a vendor knowingly sells a Vista Home machine to a business without advising them that it will not go on a domain. Small businesses are unlikely to employ IT experts and therefore rely on the expertise of the vendor/reseller. These businesses have an expectation that they will be given the correct information. However it is often the policy of large resellers to pile 'em high sell 'em cheap and shift 'em fast which leaves little room for giving tailor made advise. Also in the case of PC World at least their staff have little or no IT training, I discovered on a recent visit to my local store that I was the most qualified person in the building and one of their Tech Guys was 6 months previously driving a tractor for a living and who asked if Cisco was a local firm.

With regard to the DV7-1000ea I am working on I have XP on it along with working drivers for almost everything but because of a non existant BIOS option regarding SATA managent it is taking 10 minutes from power on to desktop which is unaceptable so I am now looking at Vista Business or Ultimate.
Ubuntu 8.10 works pretty good on HP dv7. Why do you suppose it so hard for big hardware developers to make their modern components compatible with Windows XP? I think it's for no other reason than some underhanded control issues and contracts with Bill Gates's empire to keep the revenue to microsoft flowing. The rate at which pirated Windows XP is modified and in improve makes it tempting and way more convenient than dealing with that Genuine Advantage WPA b.s. from buying a legitimate XP copies ---- so there's no incentive for microsoft and the big laptop producers to keep supporting Windows XP.

The people who keep saying we're asshats and whiners for buying this p.o.s. built for Windows Vista are microsoft and propriety hardware and software shills bitter with fear from revolutionary open source technology.
u dun have to change any option in bios... what u need is to get USB Floppy that is of course compatibile with XP installer (u can find all marks, I think there are like 4-5, on microsoft website).

and well.. thats not HP problem cos laptop was designed for Vista.. so cant expect from them much more then that.
I have my dv4 1125nr completely switched from vista to xp minus my quickplay and my sound. I've exhausted every driver I've found for both. I've made sure I'm completely updated on the .net frameworks and sp's. Any suggestions?
how did you get XP to insall, I've tried it several times with different drivers and always get the 7b error. Then the installation stops.
you have one chance ==>setup to xp sp3 sweet5.1 I have the same probleme with the same machines
what would cause USB ports not to work? I see in the device manager after installing XP on this DV5 1007cl the Intel ICH9 USB Universal Host has and ! over it. Im assuming this issue is the integrated drivers I slipstreamed into XP ISO didnt work right or something else is the issue.

the audio is be a real pain also to get working on XP.

Any help with these main items is appreciated.
Wow! Vanillasky, you got a lot further with HP support than I did. I had to argue with tech support for the better part of an hour before I got her to admit that it was my laptop, and I could do what I wanted with it (which was set up a dual boot with XP so I could use all my pro audio software and hardware). I finally got the address to an HP FTP site, where I could download the NVIDIA driver for vista, which was unavailable at the HP website at the time. I never, however, found drivers for the other functions of the laptop, so I eventually gave up on the XP partition (this was about the start of the fall semester). I just finished setting up a dual boot with Ubuntu Linux today, and am now looking for drivers for that OS, with the intent of writing my own if necessary. I'd take the links Vanillasky put up and run with 'em, y'all. As to how, you do have to slipstream SATA drivers into your XP install CD, at least for the Pavillion DV7-1025nr. Anothe r post I saw elsewhere led me to suspect that Realtek audio drivers might work, even though mine uses IDT straight from the factory. I'm going to try that in a minute. As to USB drivers, I would think you're probably right, it's the drivers you slipstreamed into your image. Try getting a different release from your MOBO manufacturer's (Intel?) website, a little experimentation should solve it. For quickplay, HP's about your only source. I'll see if I can find that FTP address, and up it so you can search there. Otherwise, contact HP support and try to schmooze 'em into turning you on to the set you need. Good luck, all. I'll report back if I get anywhere.
Hi, Guys,

It's really good to know that there are folks like to put XP on DV7 notebook too. It has great looks and good specs.

I had a DV7z, with AMD processors. What I found out is also the hard drive, it is behind a SATAII control, SB700/SB800 for AMD platform. The driver that worked for me can be found here:
http://www.drivers-software-download.org/download-msi-k9a2gm-fd-ati-sb700-raid-driver-31154068-for-xp.html

You will need to use slipstream, with software nlite, to put it into the XP installation CD-ROM. WinXP can only load 3rd party driver from sloppy drive, which there is none in the laptop. Other driver can be solved using Windows Update.

You do need to load driver for the flash reader, google for "JMB38x". I still have some problem with the quick launch button. The mute button can change the speaker setting, but the speaker is mute all the time and the indicator is always orange color. The wireless switch works, but the lights works the reverse pattern, orange--works, blue--switched off. Odd, still need to tweak a little.
Hi bandw,
i do hav the same problem with my hp notebook after installing XP..
i can't find any solution for this muted button.
Hope that U must have found any solution to it.
Plz do tell me if this problem can be solved....
take this driver for your wi-fi https://yadi.sk/d/obmApCuURLKYW it works fine. There is just the inf file changed for the blue light to get work
atheros_5.3.0.56-2kxp_MOD.rar I can not get it because I can not read the web suite. Sorry but my only lang. is english. Can you please help me! I also have the blue light problem on my dv7-1135nr
Take your file here http://rapidshare.com/files/220194575/atheros_5.3.0.56-2kxp_MOD.rar.html and just update the wlan driver this way: unrar the archive somewhere, then go to Device Manager, take the atheros wlan adapter -> Update Driver->No, not this time->Install from a specific location->Don't search I will choose the driver-> and show the path to the inf file that you just unrar'it. This make's the light blue not just orange.
jasonjsmith > shark
Sep 9, 2009 at 08:02 PM
Cool... I had to use Google's text translator (web one didn't work properly), but after my second try, my Wi-Fi light is now blue! Thank you to the Russians and thanks to shark for giving the suggestion. I'm glad it worked.
mythology2 Posts 9 Registration date Wednesday January 28, 2009 Status Member Last seen January 29, 2009
Jan 29, 2009 at 03:53 AM
for the driver install side of things, has anyone tried using something like 'driver genius' ?
https://www.driver-soft.com/

a lot of the drivers for vista will probably work for xp.
backup drivers in vista with driver genius, save them off to thumb driver or whatever. install xp (see above),install driver genius, reinstall drivers from thumb drive and then let driver genius search for updates.

long winded but might work.
mythology2 Posts 9 Registration date Wednesday January 28, 2009 Status Member Last seen January 29, 2009
Jan 29, 2009 at 05:43 AM
OK. Final update.
One of the options when installing "xp dark edition v.6" is an 'all driver version' If you install this, your computer will work fine without you trying to dig around looking for the correct drivers, or in my previous mail, use driver genius.
I have sound, video and internet connection.

If you do not trust keychanger software, you can follow this link to show you how to do it from within the msconfig.

https://www.wikihow.com/Change-a-Windows-XP-Product-Key

That's the best I can offer you guys.

Good luck with all!
hi mythology

i tried driver genius, but I couldnt crack it, so it wont download drivers.
and I have almost everything working now in xp, except few unknown devices and missing that sound place in control panel, which is the only thing im worried about.
thanks anyways, im sure that will many others.
Jan 29, 2009 at 05:45 AM
sorry, regedit, not msconfig
ok
now I know that I have IDT 92HD71B7 sound card/chipset in this dv7-1110eo.
any idea where I could get proper drivers and software for it?

and the rest of those unknown devices are:
keyboard filter
HP Mobile data protection cencor
Direct application launch button
ENE CIR receiver

what are there? and any idea where I could cop the drivers for them?

thanks
-aatu
hello to all , have a problem with getting the right drivers for pavilion dv7-1135nr. I just installed XP without any problems with the SATA drivers but now I have many devices not installed. Can anybody help me? The chip is AMD Turion based not Intel that's why could not find any info here.