NetBIOS names not visible through 2nd router

Solved/Closed
Flake - May 8, 2010 at 03:28 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - May 8, 2010 at 06:25 PM
Hello,

I have the first router which is connected to internet by DSL, DHCP service on it uses the range 192.168.210.[0 - 254]. Then I have my local home Linux server connected to it by ethernet port, I have setup a samba service (analog to Windows shares), gave it a name HOMESRV and group name HOMEGRP. All other computers connected to the same router can access it by \\HOMESRV in Windows , no problem so far. Then I the second router which is also a wireless access point connected to the first again by ethernet port, DHCP range is 172.16.100.[100-200], and here is the problem. All the computers connected to the second router cannot access my server by name, only by IP, \\192.168.210.5. For both routers set the same Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0, if it matters.

Using nbtstat on one of computers where my server is not accessible by name:
>nbtstat -A 192.168.210.5   
Wireless Network Connection:   
Node IpAddress: [172.16.100.103] Scope Id: []   

NetBIOS Remote Machine Name Table   

Name               Type         Status   
    ---------------------------------------------   
    HOMESRV        <00>  UNIQUE      Registered   
    HOMESRV        <03>  UNIQUE      Registered   
    HOMESRV        <20>  UNIQUE      Registered   
    ..__MSBROWSE__.<01>  GROUP       Registered   
    HOMEGRP        <1D>  UNIQUE      Registered   
    HOMEGRP        <1E>  GROUP       Registered   
    HOMEGRP        <00>  GROUP       Registered   

MAC Address = 00-00-00-00-00-00   

>nbtstat -a HOMESRV   
Wireless Network Connection:   
Node IpAddress: [172.16.100.103] Scope Id: []   

Host not found.

It may be the second router that is blocking netbios, but I investigated every setting in its web console and didn't find anything.

Thanks.
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
May 8, 2010 at 06:25 PM
Installing a Two Router Network
Installing a router to work as the second one on a home network requires special configuration. Do the following on the second router to ensure it (and the devices attached) function properly:

1. Connect as local device or bridge - If connecting the second router via Ethernet cable, plug it into one of the LAN ports on the first router. If connecting the second router wirelessly, ensure the second router is set for client mode. Note that some home wireless routers do not support client mode; these must be connected by cable. Check your router documentation for details on its client mode configuration support.

2. Check / change IP address - Most home network routers use a default IP address setting. Often, these default IP addresses will not work in a two router environment. Check the second router's IP address value and reset it if necessary to work within the valid address range of the first router (and to not conflict with any other device on the network).

3. Disable DHCP - To avoid IP address conflicts between all of the devices on the home network, only one of your two routers should assign addresses via DHCP. All mainstream routers provide an option to disable DHCP as part of the router's configuration screens.