Acer 5810TZG black screen *after* logging on

Closed
StuartW - Jun 19, 2010 at 07:11 AM
 StuartW - Jun 20, 2010 at 03:23 PM
Hello,

Apologies if this is not the correct section for this query...

I've spent the last day looking at forum posts related to the "black screen of death" on Acer machines, and while I have found some solutions for Acer Aspire One and others, I haven't found any that relate directly to my model, so I'm just hoping someone may be able to help.

Machine details:

Acer 5810TZG running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit. I bought it less than 2 months ago.

My laptop shut itself down, I think as a result of a Windows Update. On restart it seemed to boot as normal, with the Acer/Windows screens, and then I logged on. The screen then went black despite the hard drive continuing to function. I could hear sounds from my desktop - e.g. Twitter replies coming in on Seesmic desktop client - but the screen remained black. I waited for a while but the display didn't come back.

After trying a few more times, and starting safe mode (which works fine), I did a system restore to a point before the most recent Windows update. On this occasion the machine booted up, I logged on, and I got to my desktop - hurrah! - but, after about 30 seconds, it disappeared again. Boo. The screen just went black despite the machine clearly still functioning.

I shut down the machine and unplugged it, and left it a few hours in case of overheating; I removed and reattached the battery; I've uninstalled a driver for a printer I installed a couple of weeks ago... but no luck. I'm still only able to use the machine in safe mode.

At no point were there any USB ports being used during this process (the printer I mentioned was in an office a couple of weeks ago).

Apologies for adding to the deluge of black screen posts already clogging up the internet, but I'm not sure what to do next. Do you think solutions for other models, like the Aspire One would be worth trying, e.g:

http://filetonic.com/...

Does this sound like a problem with a driver, or software, or the machine itself - since it appears not to be a hard drive/screen issue?

I haven't the best reports of Acer support so would prefer to avoid using my warranty if possible as I can't really afford to be without the machine for too long. But if there's no other way...

Any help most gratefully received!

Related:

1 response

jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Jun 19, 2010 at 07:50 AM
ok try this 1

when black screen is displayed then
hold ctrl and shift keys and press esc key, task manager will be opened--->go to file-->new task --> type
regedt32
a registry editor will be opened and then follow the steps HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

at the right side, find the strings shell & userinit and check the following

shell value data should be
Explorer.exe

userinit value data should be
C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,

If shell and userinit are having different data values then change it as mentioned above

Just double click shell and userinit and enter the data values as

shell value data should be
Explorer.exe

userinit value data should b
C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,

Note: there is "," at the end of userinit.exe

when you enter into normal mode scan ur pc with antivirus &

download malware anti-malware application-->update it -> then select perform full scan and scan it
Thanks for your reply jack4rall - this is a bit more involved than stuff I've done previously, so I'll see how I get on and report back!