Recover my files

Closed
Ankur Sinha - Jun 21, 2010 at 11:10 AM
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020 - Jun 21, 2010 at 01:05 PM
Hello,

I have an external hard disk. It has all my movies and pictures in it. When I scan with an AV it scans them too but it doesn;t show me the movies folder and the pictures folder. There was a virus attack on it and i have cleaned them. Now what do i do? I know my files are there but its not getting detected.

3 responses

jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Jun 21, 2010 at 11:30 AM
Hi,

I will try my best to solve your problem.

try this 1.

Open My Computer--->Folder options---->click on "View" tab--->select "Show hidden files and folder"---->Now check whether you can see the folder. Then right click on it ---->select "Properties" and remove the tick mark from hidden option---->click on ok.

or

Download Free Commander, just click on it

https://freecommander.com/en/summary/

After downloading that application--->install it--->then open that application--->select your external harddisk drive.

Free Commander application shows all the hidden files.
I tried that. It didn't work.
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Jun 21, 2010 at 12:12 PM
Hi Ankur,

Try this 1
1)Click on Start--->Run--->type regedt32---->Registry Editor will be opened.

Backup your registry first by going to file-->export.

2)Then navigate to the following location

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\Hidden\SHOWALL

3)In the right window delete the file CheckedValue if it already there & its type is REG_SZ

4)Then rightclick in the white area----->click on New--->click on DWORD value with name as CheckedValue.

5)Now double click on the created CheckedValue---->then enter the number 1 in the value data box and click on OK.

Then go to folder options then select show hidden files and folders.

If the problem still exists just go to your folder option and check whether the option got changed to hide hidden files and folder.

Follow steps 1 and navigate to this location
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\Hidden\NOHIDDEN

Then at the right side double click on the checkedvalue to change the value data to 1.
Good Luck
This is what I did and got it working. Go to the address bar. Remove the Drive letter. Press windows + r and typed cmd. And put this command "attrib -s -h -r f:/*.* /s /d" . It worked!!
Jun 21, 2010 at 12:23 PM
ya even attrib is a handy command from the dos mode. did you tried free commander application.
nope!!
Jun 21, 2010 at 01:05 PM
you can use the attrib command or GUI application file commander to find the hidden files and then remove the hidden option from those files.