DVDs burned in U.K. won't play on U.S. PC

Solved/Closed
ZeeDEE - Jul 1, 2010 at 03:45 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Jul 2, 2010 at 07:14 PM
Hello, I burned a few DVDs on my laptop (Windows Vista). They played perfectly on both the laptops of my wife and myself.
They were sent to my friend in Ca. (USA) but they will not play on her HP desktop or Toshiba Satellite laptop -- both running Windows XP.
I imagined that CDs & DVDs should play equally on all PCs/laptops everywhere from Alabama to Zimbabwe???
What reason(s) could there be that they will not play in USA, and more importantly, what remedies can be applied?
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Jul 2, 2010 at 07:14 PM
The world is divided into multiple DVD regions. The US is in region 1 and Europe is in region 2. Most DVD players and recorders enforce this region code security. You might be able to unlock the player using information found at this site. Be careful with changing the region since some hardware can only be changed 5 times.

https://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks

Good Luck