No IE or Firefox connection w/o AOL on

Solved/Closed
Zeke - Dec 5, 2008 at 09:39 AM
 John - Mar 31, 2009 at 04:52 PM
Hello,

Background: I have three computers networked to a cable modem for shared internet access. All three computers run Windows XP Home Edition. This setup has worked fine for years and we could routinely access the interet via AOL, Interet Exporer (v 7) or both at the same time. Several days ago, however, I discovered that I could not access the internet on either client with Internet Explorer UNLESS I was connected and signed on to AOL. (The main host computer is just fine).

Thinking that my IE files might have been corrupted I reset them to their orginal state. That did not work. So I downloaded a fresh version of Firefox and installed it. Same problem. Could not connect to the Internet on either client with Firefox alone. But was successful using Firefox only after connecting and signing in to AOL.

My Network Diagnosis points me to network adaptor problems but that doesn't seem to make sense as I do get internet connectivity provided AOL is turned on.

The only other thing I can think of is firewall/anti-virus related. I had recently made some changes on all three machines when AOL/MacAffee anti-virus sent me messages about upgrades and that my computer was not fully protected. However, I disconnected my MacAffee and Firewalss and that did not help. Maybe I should REMOVE these programs and all my anti-spywares. Or maybe I have a virus but I have run MacAffee, Ad-Aware, Spybot Searach and Destroy and SpySweeper and found no problems.

I am very leary of removing AOL as it seems to be the only program functioning properly. And if I l can't take the chance of losing totatl internet access.

Any help or suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thank you,

Zeke
Related:

2 responses

TheParoxysm Posts 169 Registration date Sunday December 7, 2008 Status Member Last seen March 25, 2011 74
Dec 8, 2008 at 06:15 AM
Download the installer files for AOL and remove it, and it's components. Check for connectivity. Try disabling firewall and antivirus temporarily. If none of that works, then reinstall AOL.
Thanks so much for your advice and suggestion.

I solved the problem and it was related to what you suggested. The problem was with the MacAfee Anti-virus software that came with AOL. After an "upgrade" it created a firewall that blocked my client PC's from the network.

Can you tell me how to label my problem as "solved" so I don't take up any others' generous offers to help?

Thanks again,

Zeke
How did you solved the AOL mcAfee fiewall issue? I have the same issue with the inability to log into IE.
-John
TheParoxysm Posts 169 Registration date Sunday December 7, 2008 Status Member Last seen March 25, 2011 74
Dec 8, 2008 at 09:58 PM
Unfortunately I've never asked a question here so I couldn't tell you. I just get on during my free time while I'm waiting for stuff to pick up at work and just answer questions.

I believe a moderator does that after someone picks a good answer (via thumbs up next to the post that helped you).

Have a good day!