PC Strangeness

Closed
kwdblade - Dec 6, 2008 at 11:40 AM
TheParoxysm Posts 169 Registration date Sunday December 7, 2008 Status Member Last seen March 25, 2011 - Dec 8, 2008 at 09:56 PM
Hello,

About a week ago I installed some new ram (1 gig) and a new video card on my computer. It ran a little hot when I ran big time games like Call of Duty 4, so I limited my time on it. Today, I woke up and attempted to turn on my computer, and here's what happened:

- The fans and power supply are on
- My speakers turned on
- I get the hum that the computer is on

however...

- the green power light does not turn on
- the monitor says there is no signal connection
- my keyboard and mouse do not work
- my cd-rom drive does not pop open when I hit the button
- my DSL does not register it is connected to my ethernet port

Thinking this to be a random anomaly, I hold down my power button to turn it off. It turns off, I wait, and turn it back on. Same thing. This time when I try to turn it off, it gets really loud, fans running faster than usual (like its trying to load something), so I wait. Nothing. I try to turn it off again. Power button doesn't work. Now the only way I can turn it off is unplugging the power.

I looked inside the tower, and while I am no expert, everything appears to be working fine. I undusted a few things, took out the new ram, all to no avail. I found some similar problems online and tried a few of those solutions as well (holding the power button while unplugged for 40 seconds to reset the power supply, leaving it unplugged for a few minutes) but those didn't work either.

If you wish to view my configuration, go to gateway.com, go to support, and put in my serial number CCX7631007224, then go to support documents. The only changes i've made is that I installed XP (which nulled my warranty...), put an extra gig of ram inside, and replaced the video card with a BFG GeForce 9500 GT.

I thank you for your assistance.
Related:

3 responses

TheParoxysm Posts 169 Registration date Sunday December 7, 2008 Status Member Last seen March 25, 2011 74
Dec 7, 2008 at 11:55 PM
I know this may sound random, but all of your problems are related to the power supply. Specifically what are your speaker's power source?

Are they usb, or do they plug into the wall?

I think that your Power Supply is blown, and thus you are getting no power to the motherboard/drives.

Cheap fix, and easy to test. Pop open your case and plug the power into a cd drive and see if it works, if no power is given then your power supply is (sorry for the reiteration) not giving power!

Power supplies are a cheap and easy fix, and I prefer to look at the least expensive possible problems first, then move up the line of wallet Pain.

The only other thing I could POSSIBLY suggest is motherboard, but that doesn't fit because your CDrom would still open-close as it does whenever power is supplied.

Good luck!
That's what I thought it was. Thanks for the assist!
TheParoxysm Posts 169 Registration date Sunday December 7, 2008 Status Member Last seen March 25, 2011 74
Dec 8, 2008 at 09:56 PM
No problem. Have a good day and good luck!