Can connect with some programs, but not all.

Closed
Mitsukai Posts 2 Registration date Monday December 8, 2008 Status Member Last seen December 8, 2008 - Dec 8, 2008 at 10:00 PM
TheParoxysm Posts 169 Registration date Sunday December 7, 2008 Status Member Last seen March 25, 2011 - Dec 9, 2008 at 11:27 AM
Hello,

Recently I received an old computer back from a computer store where the hard drive was replaced. This computer is XP and is not Vista. I connected my computer directly to a modem and upon boot, I was surprised to notice that they had been able to transfer my computer's stored files over so that essentially all installed programs and the such were still there. At that time, I launched MSN Messenger and it worked perfectly, I also brought up Mozilla Firefox 2.0 (an outdated version) and it connected to the internet just fine. However Internet Explorer, PlayOnline Viewer (MMO Program), and Skype (to name a few) would not connect. In the time that I was trying to figure out was was wrong I updated Firefox on that computer to the latest version and upon completing the update, Firefox would then no longer connect to the internet.

This has left me, frankly, quite frustrated as I cannot find out what's causing these problems. I've searched other forums and read responses considering Firewalls and Zone Alarm. I've disabled the Firewall that was initially active and there was no change to my problem. Concerning Zone Alarm, I've checked my programs listing, and even did a search for 'Zone Alarm' through the search function and have yielded zero results for such a program being installed; however when I check the Process listing through Ctrl+Alt+Delete there's a program listed as "VSMON.exe" eating up a lot of processing power and VSMON.exe is a known function of Zone Alarm, which I cannot find.

Does any one have any ideas or advice that might help? :(
Related:

3 responses

TheParoxysm Posts 169 Registration date Sunday December 7, 2008 Status Member Last seen March 25, 2011 74
Dec 8, 2008 at 10:21 PM
Disable any antivirus programs, and firewalls.

Then get back to us.

Generally with selective connection it's either an active antivirus blocking it, or a firewall.

If that's not it, we can test other items.
Mitsukai Posts 2 Registration date Monday December 8, 2008 Status Member Last seen December 8, 2008
Dec 8, 2008 at 10:32 PM
Firewall has been off, and other than that I have been unable to find 'any' Antivirus programs installed. An attempt to send a ping also resulted in "error code 65."
TheParoxysm Posts 169 Registration date Sunday December 7, 2008 Status Member Last seen March 25, 2011 74
Dec 9, 2008 at 11:27 AM
Error code 65. Alright.

All you need to do is to uninstall all the components installed for your network card.
Right-click on "My Network Places"
Right-click on "Local Area Connection"
Take note of the components installed and uninstall them and then reinstall all of them.

Good luck!