Windows wont boot

Closed
chris - Dec 9, 2008 at 02:32 AM
TheParoxysm Posts 169 Registration date Sunday December 7, 2008 Status Member Last seen March 25, 2011 - Dec 9, 2008 at 12:14 PM
Hello,
i went to backup my 160gb sata hard drive as i was going to clone it to my new hard drive i ran norton ghost to backup my computer but when the system restarted and went into norton ghost dos mode my pc froze whilst at the start process of backing up so i restarted my pc, and all seemed ok with the checks but wouldnt boot xp and would only go into pc dos mode with norton ghost saying:
1/ run norton gohst
2/ start windows

Iv tryed to start windows but i just wont go past that stage just stayes at the same screen.
i put my xp cd in to try to repair but it only runs in dos mode and im unsure how to repair from there. iv tryed making sure my boot sequance is correct and my hard drives are reconised in the bios

also i tryed installing xp onto my new hard drive but when the files have copyed whilst adding a new partision the system restarts but the screen stays blank and a restart is required????

if you know how to bypass this gohst dos mode it would be appreciated.
* operating system:
2.9ghz 5600 amd x2
4 gb 800mhz ram
1x 160 sata hd
1x 500gb hd (not yet instaled)
msi k9ngm motherboard
thanks for your time

chris
Related:

1 response

TheParoxysm Posts 169 Registration date Sunday December 7, 2008 Status Member Last seen March 25, 2011 74
Dec 9, 2008 at 12:14 PM
I suggest you install windows on the new hard drive. Usually after copying files it restarts and that's when you need to remove the disk and let it book from the new hard drive (since the files are copied to it).

Once in windows you can hook up your old hard drive and copy any files over you need.

Good luck!